Security situation in Xinjiang - leave your thoughts

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
edgars_adl

Re: Security situation in Xinjiang - leave your thoughts

Post by edgars_adl »

This post comes somewhat late as me and my wife did a short 4 day trip to and around Urumqi in September 2019 via Almaty - Urumqi flight. So maybe something has changed again.

However, we (surprisingly?) didn't encounter many of the hassles I've read about - noone ever searched our phones nor at the airport (both ways), nor at various police checkpoints in the city and on the highways to Turpan, we were using VPN and accessing anything we wanted on the internet without a hitch, we even got our visas stating we're traveling to Urumqi and still received them.
Booking a hotel was quite easy though of course quite expensive, minding I did it through an international booking service. Then again, I never had to worry the place would not take foreigners.

There were some hickups here and there but that was mainly because noone could understand what country we're from. But taken we're from Latvia, that's understandable :)

Of course, there are countless police checkpoints everywhere, especially we had to get out of the car for several of them while driving (with a tour guide/driver) to Turpan and its area and these things can get tiresome but I wouldn't say it was much more than a mild nuisance you get used to by the second day you're there.

With all that being said, I still think all of the reports and information has to be taken into account and precaution has to be taken but wanted to share that it's obviously possible to be relatively lucky and travel to Xinijang without experiencing (almost) any difficulties.
Weather it's luck or something has changed in regards to tourism in the area, is up for debate.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Some of these posts are missing the point: it's a genocide against local Muslims, not against tourists. You are being managed and funneled along certain paths and into certain areas. And Xinjiang is now entering a phase that is referred to by academics as a "negative peace" (no explosions, shootings or attacks), but injustice and cruelty prevails. Now, should you visit Xinjiang? Are you comfortable with knowing that down that closed road is a concentration camp full of teenage Muslim girls who had their hair cut off and are now being mass-raped after being sterilized? If you are, then go be a tourist there. Are you comfortable knowing that the Muslim men who have been disappeared into the camp system have now had a Han Chinese man assigned to sleep in their wives' beds? If you're OK with that, then go to Xinjiang and then come back to this forum to post about how security was good for you.
1 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

> it's a genocide against local Muslims
let's precise:
against uyghurs (turkish language native ethnic, much older than islam, by chineese sources first described - bei wei dynasty in 4th-6th century - as tiele tribe)
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

So what if the ethnic group is older than Islam? (It's equally irrelevant, for example, that the Chinese sources you cite predate the adoption of Turkic language.)

It's precisely the Islamic aspects of Uyghur culture that the government is trying to eradicate.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

0 x
rgds -
mazeno

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

mazeno wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:59 am
> it's a genocide against local Muslims
let's precise:
against uyghurs (turkish language native ethnic, much older than islam, by chineese sources first described - bei wei dynasty in 4th-6th century - as tiele tribe)
It's a cultural genocide against not only Uyghurs, but also Kyrgyz, Kazakh communities who all happent to be Muslims. Being non-Han is an initial problem; being historically restive against Beijing is another (and the main difference between them and peoples like the Hui, who can go on Hajj for instance); being Muslim is, if you will, the icing on the cake.
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

viewtopic.php?p=36364#p36364
uyghurs, kyrgyz, kazakhs, uzbeks, tatars - it is one turkish-language ethnic group originated from yenisey nomads. uyghurs is the "branch" that moved to central asia via selenga basin (nothern mongolia), but this is still the same "family". they all can still communicate in one language without translating.
so common "uyghurs" includes all the turkish-speaking people living in modern western china. but of course, you're right as for the rest, not mentioning the fact that buddhists and christians are genocided in china, too - if we are talking about religion aspect of genocide. but main aspect is ethnic, see e.g. tibet or inner mongolia.

---
above i wrote about chinesee sources to emphazise the fact that modern china negates uyghurs' roots.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

cztt346

Post by cztt346 »

edgars_adl wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm

However, we (surprisingly?) didn't encounter many of the hassles I've read about - noone ever searched our phones nor at the airport (both ways), nor at various police checkpoints in the city and on the highways to Turpan, we were using VPN and accessing anything we wanted on the internet without a hitch, we even got our visas stating we're traveling to Urumqi and still received them.
With all that being said, I still think all of the reports and information has to be taken into account and precaution has to be taken but wanted to share that it's obviously possible to be relatively lucky and travel to Xinijang without experiencing (almost) any difficulties.
Weather it's luck or something has changed in regards to tourism in the area, is up for debate.
Some of the horrible descriptions are exaggerated. Maybe that's because most westerners have more interest in Xinjiang's cultural sceneries -- which is mostly in the south, but the southern is also the place where the safety situation is most severe. So, these "countless check points" they experienced are mostly in the south. Policies implemented in the northern and eastern is much looser all along. I have to admit that local authorities seems beware of foreign travellers. But if you have an Asian face (e.g.: Singapore, Japan, Korea), then things may be much better.

By the way, I don't want to respond to the so-called "genocide" any more. It's a waste of time to comment on these fabrications.
0 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

cztt346 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:40 pm
" even babies are frisked, i dont know how they can bare it; its just relentless, over and over..."is much exaggerated. I don't know how can you fabricating such stories.
Would you mind to elaborate why this is “exaggerated” and “fabricating”? These are the traveler who were in Xinjiang and witnessed all of these events, why would they exaggerate and fabricate?
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

John Oliver on the topic of Uyghurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17oCQakzIl8&t=18s
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.