Shir Khan Bandar - Panji Poyon (AF-TJ) border updates

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Shir Khan Bandar - Panji Poyon (AF-TJ) border updates

Post by steven »

Please post your updates on the Shir Khan Bandar - Panji Poyon border between Dushanbe and Kunduz below.

We summarize all info on the border crossing pages for Tajikistan and Afghanistan.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Shir Khan Bandar - Panji Poyon (AF-TJ) border updates

Post by steven »

Tajikistan police have closed the main crossing point with Afghanistan -- Sher Khan Bandar --- over the past four days, officials in northern Kunduz province said on Wednesday.

https://www.pajhwok.com/en/2017/12/20/t ... fghanistan
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

(probably) there is another border crossing being built on pamir river on the tjk-afg border in langar:

2 x
rgds -
mazeno

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I spoke today with someone who crossed into Tajikistan here recently. He took a shared car north from Kabul and was close to two Taliban attacks on the road as it went through Baghlan. No Taliban checkpoints through Kunduz Province, luckily. At the border neither side recognized his e-visa and they laughed at him. He had to pay a bribe for the Tajik border guards.

I don't think this border crossing is really an option for travellers here. This guy is a Pakistani citizen who worked for 7 years in Afghanistan and he speaks Dari. I'm writing this to let people know that the border guards here have apparently never seen an e-visa. They "laughed at the piece of paper." Even if security was not an issue, you will have this problem. Cross elsewhere or not at all. The Taliban control most rural districts in Kunduz Province. A Pakistani will pass unnoticed. You will not.
2 x

yamamotoo

Khyber Pass/Torkham border reports (AF>PAK)

Post by yamamotoo »

Just for everyone’s information — recently (few days ago) my friend easily received Afghanistan visa in Termiz consulate (Russian passport). However, UZ-AF border was closed — he had to go to Tajikistan and cross to Kunduz (land border there is DEFINITELY open for foreigners). Now he is in Kabul.
3 x

tbcwong

Tajikistan Afghanistan Border Shir Khan Bandar near Kunduz

Post by tbcwong »

Has anyone crossed this border recently? Is it open and are there any issues? Our Afghanistan guide suggested we use route to go from Mazar Sharif to Dushanbe, as there is no direct flight from Kabul to Dushanbe, and all available flights are quite expensive. The Tajikistan guide did not recommend it, thus I am posing this question on the forum. Thanks.
0 x

Cery

Post by Cery »

tbcwong wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:31 pm
Has anyone crossed this border recently? Is it open and are there any issues? Our Afghanistan guide suggested we use route to go from Mazar Sharif to Dushanbe, as there is no direct flight from Kabul to Dushanbe, and all available flights are quite expensive. The Tajikistan guide did not recommend it, thus I am posing this question on the forum. Thanks.
I crossed this border 2 days ago. Everything was fine but took a while on both sides.
0 x

tbcwong

Post by tbcwong »

Hi Cery - can you elaborate on "took a while on both sides."? is it like 1 hr, 2 hr, or longer?
0 x

Cery

Post by Cery »

Basically what took time was all about my motorbike. In Afghanistan it took me 2h and Tajikistan 4h. On both sides there were not many people crossing but the officials were very slow. Without any international vehicle it could be much faster.
0 x

dsakiyama

Dushanbe to shri khan border

Post by dsakiyama »

Can anyone recommend a driver to the shri khan border from Dushanbe and/or information on how to get to Dushanbe to shri khan border. Can I find a direct share taxi to the border area or need to make any transfers?

Thanks
0 x