GBAO situation - 2014 [locked]

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Dracid

Re: GBAO current situation

Postby Dracid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:43 pm

I just got mine GBAO permit in Tajikistan Embassy in Berlin.
0 x

boney

Postby boney » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi ! How is the situiation? Any news? What about Tajik embassy in Bishkek? :)
0 x

nomadbr

Postby nomadbr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi, we just got a Tajik tourist visa and GBAO at the Bishkek embassy today - it took less than an hour and all we had to do was to fill the application form, provide a passport photocopy and a 3x4 photo. Cost was USD 80 (for visa) + 100 Kyrgyz Som for GBAO. Between us, we had citizens from Brazil, Canada, US, UK, Japan.

However:
1- Despite the tourist visas being up to 30 days, the GBAO was only for 7 days, counting from the starting date of the visa. (Initially we were told that GBAOs can only be given in Dushanbe now, but after some insistence and a phone call to Dushanbe, we were allowed 7 days each)
2- You can only apply the GBAO together with the tourist visa. If you already have a Tajik tourist visa (even if you got it in Bishkek earlier) you may not apply for a GBAO seperately at the Bishkek embassy.

They are closed for lunch between 12:00 to 14:00.

Happy travels!
0 x

boney

Postby boney » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi. We was there today and the women said that she can give us permision for 10 days (after long discusion) but we decided to get it in Dushanbe. We see in 3 weeeks...
0 x

judefoon

Postby judefoon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 am

Got Tajik visa in Bishkek today, but like others recently only 7 days for GBAO. We are cyclists and this is not enough time! Anyone have any advice on what we could do? Have contacted a travel agent in Osh to see if they can help us...
Jude
0 x

kevin

Postby kevin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Got GBAO in the new Tajik embassy in Paris yesterday for the whole duration of my Visa, i.e., about a month. Looks like it's loosened up in Western Europe (Berlin, Paris) but not in Central Asia. So the recommendation would be: try and get it before you leave home!
0 x

Asiatrek

Postby Asiatrek » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 am

Hello ! I went to tajik embassy today. They do not deliver any touristic visa till the 15th of september...

Hello, ce message pour vous dire que le consulat tadjik ne délivre plus de visa à Bishkek jusqu'au 15 septembre en raison d'un sommet entre les présidents d'Asie Centrale...
0 x

povertyjetset

Postby povertyjetset » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 am

Dropped off GBAO permit app. this morning at OVIR in Dushanbe. Place was absolutely mobbed (not with tourists, though). Told to return 10 am tomorrow to pick up permit. Didn't have to leave passport. 20 som paid at Amonat Bank down the street then another 5 som at the office. Easy. Hopefully have the permit in hand tomorrow.
0 x

povertyjetset

Postby povertyjetset » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 am

Picked up the GBAO permit this morning. The duration matches the same 30 days as the visa.
0 x

Cyclovent

Postby Cyclovent » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

Povertyjetset, where did you apply for your GBAO permit ?
I really hope that GBAO is the same lenght than the visa, because riding 800 km in 7days, is just impossible ....
0 x