Lake Sarez, Tajikistan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
someteaplease

Lake Sarez, Tajikistan

Post by someteaplease »

Hi There,

I seem to remember that a permit is required to visit the lake, is it also required to use the road i.e not go to the lake?
Where is it possible to obtain this permit? and does the road connect all the way side to side?
And what condition is the road?

Many Thanks
Dave
0 x

someteaplease

Re: Lake Sarez, Tajikistan

Post by someteaplease »

Since I am travelling from Kyrgyzstan, i am interested if i can get it somewhere except Dushanbe??
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

see http://caravanistan.com/visa/tajikistan/gbao-permit/

Quote: The Sarez permit can be obtained free of charge at the Committee for Emergency Situations at Lohuti Street in Duhanbe, opposite the Tajik Sodirot Bank.

For Zorkul, you can obtain the permit in Khorog and Murghab. In Murghab, the building is down near the hospital: your homestay provider should be able to point you to the right place. Alternatively ask at the tourist information office and they’ll point you in the right direction.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bepa66

Post by bepa66 »

Guys,

And how long it takes to obtain permit for Sarez in Dushanbe? Is it possible to get it instantly? We do not planning to spend more than one day in Dushanbe? Is it still free of charge?

I asked few travel agancies and they told it cost 50$ per day and guide is mandatory. - is it true?

We will by cycling through Bartang and we will thinking to go for one day to Sarez Lake.

Same question regarding Zorkul.
How long it takes to get permit (either in Khorog or Murgab) and how much cost?

Thanks,
Bart
0 x

Maciej87

Post by Maciej87 »

Hi Bart,
when you will be cycling through Bartang? I'm going there from Karakul on 12/08.
0 x

bepa66

Post by bepa66 »

Maciek,

We will going opposite way (from Khorog/Rushan). We will start probably from 21st Aug, so possibly we will meet in half way :)

Do you know anything about Sarez permit?
0 x

Maciej87

Post by Maciej87 »

That's great. No, unfortunately I don't. I don't go there so I have done no research.
0 x