Stuck in India! How to get out?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
raptorboy0

Stuck in India! How to get out?

Post by raptorboy0 »

I'm an american traveling by bicycle, west across Asia from Thailand, through Myanmar, and now in India. Can anyone give suggestions for how to continue without taking a plane or bus?

I can't go through Pakistan, as I'd have to apply for the visa in my home country.

What about going from Nepal through Tibet and then west to Kyrgyzstan? Does anyone know the details of going through Tibet by bike? I understand it involves an expensive group tour. Any idea how much the cost would be?

Any other ideas? I also thought about trying to take a boat from Mumbai to the middle east, but that seems unlikely.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Stuck in India! How to get out?

Post by steven »

Didn't they just open up a border between Myanmar and China last week? Only option besides looking for a freighter or a sailor.

This is not my area of expertise, but I think cycling through Tibet will land you in prison like most others who have tried it.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

julistan

Post by julistan »

From Nepal to Tibet, it will cost you a minimum of 800dollars without being able to cycle. From Lhasa,, you can continue to mainland China with your 20days group visa but no extandable unfortunately.
Also, considering that a plane ticket with your bike from Kathmandu to China can be as expensive....
The cheapest wayout would be to fly to dubai or Iran if you want continue west...or seast asia to continue east...
You can ship your bike for good price but for you, much more, too much...
Safe rides
0 x

julistan

Post by julistan »

As well, the overland option::cycling out through myanmar again and crossing into china , the overland border opening soon (maybe opened already) .
Applying for your chinese visa in mandalay or rangoon.
Kazakhstan is visa free for americans from 15/7 for a year and Kyrgyzstan is visa free too.
0 x