Qolma/Kulma pass (China-Tajikistan) border crossing reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Niek_onmybike

Re: Anyone crossed Qolma pass to China recently?

Post by Niek_onmybike »

TheNonFlyingDutchman wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:50 am
I emailed with Roof of the World Travel in Dushanbe and they said it’s only open for chinese and tajik nationals. Still trying to get more info or reports from post covid
Thanks for sharing, that's very surprising since generally all China's borders are open since 14 March 2023, or am I missing something? If you hear more recent reports I'm very keen to hear!
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

Niek_onmybike wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:20 pm
I emailed with Roof of the World Travel in Dushanbe and they said it’s only open for chinese and tajik nationals. Still trying to get more info or reports from post covid
Thanks for sharing, that's very surprising since generally all China's borders are open since 14 March 2023, or am I missing something? If you hear more recent reports I'm very keen to hear!
This is also a surprise to me. A friend of a guy I met said he was recently there, and he confirmed that the border is only open for tajik and chinese nationals, and truck drivers. But still no official word.
I went to the tajik embassy in Tashkent today, and they didn’t have any info on borders. They told me to contact the ministry of internal affairs in Dushanbe. Unfortunately I can’t call them from here, so I emailed them.

They also told me to apply for a pamir region special permit, something that is mentioned a lot on this forum I think.

Besides this I also emailed the ministry of foreign affairs of Kyrgyzstan, to double check my plan B. Man, the struggle is real 😅
3 x

Niek_onmybike

Re: Qolma/Kulma pass (China-Tajikistan) border crossing reports

Post by Niek_onmybike »

That's some proper research you're doing there, thanks again for sharing. I'm planning to cycle the silk road from Dushanbe to Osh, either directly or through China, so this is super useful info!

Keen to hear more and happy to help doing research, cheers!
0 x

dmcco1

Post by dmcco1 »

Hello folks,

Has anyone crossed from China to Tajikistan recently?

Many thanks,

David
0 x

Oz_follow_the_sun

Post by Oz_follow_the_sun »

Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 pm
Niek_onmybike wrote:
This is also a surprise to me. A friend of a guy I met said he was recently there, and he confirmed that the border is only open for tajik and chinese nationals, and truck drivers. But still no official word.
I went to the tajik embassy in Tashkent today, and they didn’t have any info on borders. They told me to contact the ministry of internal affairs in Dushanbe. Unfortunately I can’t call them from here, so I emailed them.

They also told me to apply for a pamir region special permit, something that is mentioned a lot on this forum I think.

Besides this I also emailed the ministry of foreign affairs of Kyrgyzstan, to double check my plan B. Man, the struggle is real 😅

Please, let us know here once you have any info from these officials sources.
Thank you 💥
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

Oz_follow_the_sun wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:27 pm
Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 pm
Niek_onmybike wrote:

Please, let us know here once you have any info from these officials sources.
Thank you 💥
I didn’t get any answers yet and I have nonfaith in receiving an answer in the future too. My current plan is to try this route myself in sept. We’ll see. Ofc I’ll report here if I hear anything.
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Hello there
We can confirm that at this point of time the Qolma border crossing is open for Tajik and Chinees nationals only (we daily contact the OVIR office in Khorog and Murghab for the travel related documents, permits etc) and they say that have not registered any foreign nationals (other than Chinese citizens) crossing the Qolma border. Things may change in the near future but as of now it is not open for other nationals. In addition, we, living in the Pamirs, witnessing on daily basis that all tourists who travel from Dushanbe to Murghab or Karakul drive back to Dushanbe. Please do not entirely rely on some of the official info available online which are not true. Same is with the Tajik-Kyrgyz border, remains closed.

Hope this helps
best wishes
Nazrulo
3 x

travelinrhepink

Post by travelinrhepink »

Well this is not good news. Everywhere I read said you can go through the Qolma pass. I am in Kashgar now excepting to cross on Monday July 10th. The border officers questioning me when I entered China from Kyrgyzstan did not mention the border is closed to me. And they know this is where I will exit from and when... I guess I will find out the hard way on Monday...
0 x

travelinrhepink

Post by travelinrhepink »

Nazrulo wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:16 pm
Hello there
We can confirm that at this point of time the Qolma border crossing is open for Tajik and Chinees nationals only (we daily contact the OVIR office in Khorog and Murghab for the travel related documents, permits etc) and they say that have not registered any foreign nationals (other than Chinese citizens) crossing the Qolma border. Things may change in the near future but as of now it is not open for other nationals. In addition, we, living in the Pamirs, witnessing on daily basis that all tourists who travel from Dushanbe to Murghab or Karakul drive back to Dushanbe. Please do not entirely rely on some of the official info available online which are not true. Same is with the Tajik-Kyrgyz border, remains closed.

Hope this helps
best wishes
Bartang & Sarez Tour
[email protected]
+992 93 534 6054 (WhatsAPP)
I think just because the OVIR office said they only heard of Chinese nationals entering the Qolma pass doesn't mean foreigners can not, like I said in previous comment, the Chinese border officers in the Irkeshrtam border between Kyrgyzstan and China know I will exit from Qolma and did not tell me it's closed.

Many foriengers do not cycle through China because 1) it's hard to get a visa unless you have a 10-year visa
especially if you mention Xinjiang or Kashgar and 2) for cyclists on a month vacation, detouring through China is an extra 550km and over 10,000m in elevation gain and lastly 3) cyclists don't want to deal with the restrictions in China from no camping, being followed, or having to take taxis or busses between no-cycling zones.

I will go ask a police station now to make some calls for me, if they are willing, or I will find out on Monday, July 10th when I get there..
1 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

travelinrhepink wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:05 am
the Chinese border officers in the Irkeshrtam border between Kyrgyzstan and China know I will exit from Qolma and did not tell me it's closed.
Maybe they don't know, maybe they don't care. More probably they don't know AND don't care.
0 x