Russia - Kazakhstan border control

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Pubung

Russia - Kazakhstan border control

Postby Pubung » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello. I have 2 questions, escaping a little bit from the Silk Route, if possible.

#1: The first comes a bit from my unexperience. How does border control work when you are travelling by train? Say, from Astana to Moscow. Am I supposed to get down from the train at some border? A guard will come inside the train? I heard from a traveller that there is no control at all and that one is just supposed to register once he arrives in Moscow.

#2: Is it possible or legal to change passports at the border? Is it ok to do it between Kazakhstan and Russia? I know that its ok to do it when travelling by plane, but not sure about overland. Anyone had any experience with this? Particularly going into Russia, by train or bus?

Thanks.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Russia - Kazakhstan border control

Postby steven » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:21 am

1. A guard will come in the train. It's usually in the middle of the night according to my experience, when a blinding flashlight is shone into your eyes.

2: Yes, you can do it. I have done it several times. I only have 1 nationality though. Perhaps they make trouble with 2 nationalities. That I don't know.
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Pubung

Re: Russia - Kazakhstan border control

Postby Pubung » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok - thanks for the answer!
0 x