Khunjerab Pass (China-Pakistan border) Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Khunjerab Pass (China-Pakistan border) Q&A

Postby steven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 am

All questions and reports regarding crossing the Khunjerab Pass between China and Pakistan are welcome below.

We summarize all info at Pakistan border crossings.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

AUM

Khunjerab Pass (China-Pakistan border) Q&A

Postby AUM » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello,
I am in Gilgit, planning to cross to China soon.
Someone here scared me that they might refuse me to cross the border if I can not prove a polio vaccination. I have never heard this, also in the Chinese Embassy they didn't mention this.
Anyone here has ever heard about this?
0 x

jiri

Re: Pakistan/China Border Crossing Polio Vaccination

Postby jiri » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 pm

The Chinese will ask for a proof of recent polio vaccination, but then I also think you could get the vaccination before leaving Pakistan in Sost - they wanted to see the same document, making sure you don't come back once they stamp you out :-). Some locals got an oral vaccine, I assume it was for polio.

We did go from Sost to Tashkurgan end of May 2015, but got the Polio shot before (we were told Pakistan requires this, which is not true).
0 x

SPR11

Border crossing Pakistan/China

Postby SPR11 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello fellow travelers,

I want to travel from Pakistan to China by the end of May. I am a Dutch citizen and will have a regular tourist visa for China.

The relevant Caravanistan webpage says that you can travel here if you take a bus from Sost. If you want to cross by yourself (on a bike for instance) you need a permit and a guide.

Does anyone know if this info is still correct? I want to travel by myself by bus, and don't want a guide or anything.

Thanks in advance.
0 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Border crossing Pakistan/China

Postby bwv812 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm

There are lots of blogs of cyclists wanting to do the exact route but bemoaning the issue. I believe this policy will be in effect for the foreseeable future given that Chinese customs isn't until Tashkurgan and you won't get stamped in until there.

Here's a recent report:
https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/cycli ... stan-china
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

SPR11

Postby SPR11 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am not actually cycling. From the blogpost it seems it's possible to just take the bus from Sost. Hopefully this stays true, since that is what I intend to do.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Oh, I misunderstood. Regular bus (or other private transport) between the two has never been a problem, though there are reports of border officials demanding record of polio vaccinations.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

SPR11

Postby SPR11 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 pm

That is a great relief. Don't feel like getting permits and a guide. It's a shame those are still required in some places where you can easily travel without one.
0 x

Aaqib Hussain

Postby Aaqib Hussain » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello brother when you feel any type of help i will be available i am from sialkot pakistan.
1 x

Shot Bru

China-Pakistan and back into China via Khunjerab border

Postby Shot Bru » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:17 am

Hi everyone

Awesome site Steven and Saule, much appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience of crossing the Khunjerab border from China into Pakistan,staying in Pakistan for 2-3 weeks and then returning to China again via the same border?

I will have a multi-entry Chinese visa on an Aussie passport. Just wondering if the Chinese would have a problem with me returning the same way I left?

Cheers
0 x