Kazakhstan visa free experiences 2014 [archive]

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
julistan

Kazakhstan visa free experiences 2014 [archive]

Postby julistan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:40 am

Hi there
Some citizens who are part of the pilot program list crossed one of the borders from Kyrgyzstan into kazakhstan these days?
Are the kazakhs guards aware about this new law or did they rejected you?

Safe travels to all.
Jul.
0 x

Persipura

Re: Kyrgyzstan-kazakhstan border crossings

Postby Persipura » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 pm

I will use the main crossing (Kordai?) between Bishkek and Almaty in 2 weeks and report.

I'm more concerned about leaving Kazakhstan (at Khorgas). Will also report.
0 x

muteki

Postby muteki » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 am

I've met a bunch of Brits who successfully crossed. I crossed from Tashkent to Shymkent and it took 15 minutes for the border officials to call and verify how to process. Everyone I know who has tried has been successful.
0 x
"A man must live in such a way that he is always prepared to die."
-Confucious

http://muteki.co

nagwon

Postby nagwon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Visa free Kazakhstan seems to be working. We (two Brits) crossed from Kyrgyzstan at the Kordai border today without any problems. It was quick and simple. We initially got only one stamp on the migration card, but after asking nicely, we got the second stamp too. Took about 4 hours in total from Bishkek's western bus station to Almaty by mashrutka.
0 x

Persipura

Postby Persipura » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 am

Crossed at Jordan. The border control officer had to look it up multiple times and also ask around but in the end it worked. German passport
0 x

muteki

Postby muteki » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 am

I successfully got out through this border, no issues at all. I had a migration card which listed an expiry date of 28/7, when I left 30/7, but they didn't say anything about it. Seems that with visa-free you don't need to register, but it's probably still better to do it anyway.
0 x
"A man must live in such a way that he is always prepared to die."
-Confucious

http://muteki.co

Blagbag

Re: Kazakhstan visa free experiences

Postby Blagbag » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Does the new visa-free arrangement exempt citizens of the relevant countries from having to register within 5 days of arrival since the change on July 15th? I'm particularly interested in the situation for those arriving by rail as I will be doing next month.

The embassy website says the following:
Registration of citizens of these countries is carried out by the Border Service of the National Security Committee through affixing date stamp in the "registration" migration card.

As the change is so recent most sources still say registration is mandatory. Advice elsewhere says the exemption only applies if you arrive by air.
0 x

kevin

Postby kevin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi,

Does this also apply to flying in? For example into Aktau?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:35 pm

@Blagbag: registration still necessary.

@kevin: visa-free is visa-free and should be followed everywhere, including airports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Wickychicky

Postby Wickychicky » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:52 am

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a restriction on the number of times you can enter Kazakhstan on this new visa waiver system?

My application for a visa for Iran has just been rejected, despite having tour booked (British); well they said they needed another 25 days to decide if I can enter or not, which was almost after our tour should be finished.
So now we may be able to do Pamir and Tajikistan after all. Everything has its positive sides, I guess.

In the meantime we might like to leave Kyrgyzstan, go to Kazakhstan for a couple of days waiting for Tajikistan to open again, then return to Kazakhstan maybe 3 or 4 weeks later.

Will it work?
Cheers
Helen
0 x