Matsimi - Balakan Border Crossing Reports (Georgia - Azerbaijan)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Li Via

Re: Matsimi - Balakan Border Crossing Reports (Georgia - Azerbaijan)

Post by Li Via »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone recent information about the possability to cross this border? Actually it shoud be open (recording to your map and also to other sources) but, in the Azerbaidshanian Embassy in Tbilisi, they told me, all land borders are closed. :?
Did anyone cross this border (or any other landborder between georgia - azerbaidshan) recently?

Thanks for help and information.

PS: My husband and me are on a Worldbicycletrip and want to go east. Now are kind of stocked in Georgia, because we want avoid a flight. :)
0 x

austin2powers

Post by austin2powers »

Hi Li Via,

I don't know the answer, we also need to cross this border from AZ to Georgia by car anytime soon. Also reading mixed news about those land borders.
I've contacted the Georgian side (right now we're in Germany), will keep you updated.

Have you tried to cross yet? Anyone else?

Good luck, Cheers
Henning
0 x

PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Hi Li Via,

we are also currently in Georgia.

While the land border is not completely closed, they let only in people that live in Azerbaijan or truck drivers !

However, the border Georgia/Armenia is open in both directions. Maybe you want to make a small detour :)

Peter
0 x

austin2powers

Post by austin2powers »

Hi guys,

quick update, we’ve just passed the border:

Red Bridge
AZ -> GE

Officially it should be closed but they let us through, super friendly on both sides, opening times 10am-7pm (Azeri time). We needed vax & pcr.

With us one Georgian and Turkish private car passed but I did not see any other car crossing in other direction GE -> AZ.

Cheers
Henning
1 x

elliotmitchell01

Georgia to Azerbaijan land border

Post by elliotmitchell01 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum!

My wife and I are currently slow travelling from the UK to Australia without flying. We are currently in Turkey, going into Georgia around xmas (Dec 25th), and then hoping to cross into Azerbaijan via the land border in January/February.

Is anyone else doing this route? Would be great to hear from you!

I've read that the land border isn't open, so it would be good to hear people's experiences trying to cross.

Thanks
Elliot
0 x

Bor020

Post by Bor020 »

Hi all,

I am planning to cross the border to Azerbaijan from Georgia. I know that officially all land borders of Azerbaijan are closed until at least July 1st.
Does anybody have any information about reopening? Or has anybody experience with trying to cross the border?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Bor
1 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

Hello, when do you want to cross the border to Azerbaijan? We are also looking forward to go from Georgia to Azerbaijan.
0 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has currently driven across the national borders into the country by car or bicycle. I only read an article that it is possible to get into Azerbaijan via Aktau by ferry.
0 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

That's written in 'the foreign Office' :
Entry from Georgia by land is also possible with an Azerbaijani visa. However, all land borders are currently closed to regular passenger traffic as part of the special quarantine regime.

Maybe we just have to try to get in.
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

henryandmoni wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 am
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has currently driven across the national borders into the country by car or bicycle. I only read an article that it is possible to get into Azerbaijan via Aktau by ferry.
That sounds interesting 🧐 Do you remember where you read this?

best wishes
Livia
0 x