Matsimi - Balakan Border Crossing Reports (Georgia - Azerbaijan)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Bor020

Re: Matsimi - Balakan Border Crossing Reports (Georgia - Azerbaijan)

Post by Bor020 »

I want to cross the border by the end of June.
It might be worth a try? Otherwise I will be stuck on my overland journey... Anybody any thoughts/recommendations?
0 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

Hello Livia,
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=892&p=40094&hilit= ... rry#p40094

Here they were discussing about going by ferry from Aktau to Azerbaijan.

However, the end is open, they only talk about the fact that it should work because you can go from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan and the ferry is active.

Hope that's what you are looking for.
Greetings Moni
0 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

Li Via wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 pm
henryandmoni wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 am
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has currently driven across the national borders into the country by car or bicycle. I only read an article that it is possible to get into Azerbaijan via Aktau by ferry.
That sounds interesting 🧐 Do you remember where you read this?

best wishes
Livia
Hello Livia,

however, the end is open, they only talk about the fact that it should work because you can go from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan and the ferry is active.

Greetings Moni
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

henryandmoni wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:50 pm
Li Via wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 pm
henryandmoni wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 am
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has currently driven across the national borders into the country by car or bicycle. I only read an article that it is possible to get into Azerbaijan via Aktau by ferry.
That sounds interesting 🧐 Do you remember where you read this?

best wishes
Livia
Hello Livia,

however, the end is open, they only talk about the fact that it should work because you can go from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan and the ferry is active.

Greetings Moni

Thanks, I know this thread. No, I am looking for some information about the entry rules of Azerbaijan by the Caspian Sea - just because the ferry is running it doesn’t mean, that you can enter there as a Tourist. 😊 Landborders a still closed… so that might include the seaborder to. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I didn’t manage to get a clear answer of this question so far. Neither from the embassy nor from the ministry of foreign affairs nor from the state migration service… 🤷🏽‍♀️
So we just have to wait or just try it. 😀

thanks and best wishes
Livia
0 x

henryandmoni

Post by henryandmoni »

They made it with the ferry🤗

"Caspian sea ferry updates & questions - Page 23 - Caravanistan" viewtopic.php?f=35&t=892&sid=ef5ba3be0f ... 336#p40336
0 x

Bor020

Post by Bor020 »

Hi!

Does anybody have any updates on the border? Has someone tried to cross?
0 x

melburvivon

Post by melburvivon »

I tried to ring the Azeri embassy in Tbilisi but both numbers I found didn't work.

However I found this article, which says the border will not reopen until September 1 (but of course the closure could be extended again)

https://jam-news.net/azerbaijan-extends ... ptember-1/

Word of advice: book any flight between Tbilisi and Baku well in advance – for July they are all really expensive.
0 x

Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Hi, back to Caravanistan after a couple of years!

Being a seasoned traveller, I bought a flight ticket to Baku hoping to later get to Tblisi by road thinking that the whole covid craze was over. Now I see the land borders are closed.

I want to exit so that might be easier, but hard to say. There seems to be at least one positive experience here.

I have written the Azeri Embassy in Madrid for clarification regarding exiting the country. Maybe I will call in couple of days if I get no answer.
0 x

Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Hi, crossed today from Azerbaijan to Georgia. Spanish and Russian passports.

We started the trip in Ganja. The hotel clerks were sure that the border was closed and that we were crazy to try, but gently ordered a taxi for about 56 azn.

It takes about 2.5 h to reach the border, there is a lot of construction going on in that road. Once in the border there was absolutely nobody there, just some trucks.

We were approached by some luggage carriers who asked for our nationalities and said "problem netu", so we approached the guard who asked for my visa, called somebody and we were let in. In passport control no questions and all over in 10 minutes.

After walking to the Georgian side, they looked a little surprised to see us there and asked many questions about previous trips and we were going to stay (we dared not reserve anything). These border guard seemed trainees but spoke good Russian. When they got tired, the stamped us in and we got a taxi.

There seemed to be people changing money on both sides. No covid question or paperwork at all.

Entering AZ by land seems impossible at least until 01.09.
1 x

Davetherave

Post by Davetherave »

Hi guys,
Does somebody know if it's possible to cross by land from gerogia to Azerbaijan now? Or are all borders still closed because of covid?
Thanks in advance
0 x