Tosor pass Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Tosor pass Q&A

Post by mazeno »

is it passable for bicicles, now?
info needed for friends riding.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

Koen

Re: tosor pass - is it under the snow or not (now)?

Post by Koen »

I tried three days ago and it was not possible.
I went up to 4km from the pass but snow one and a half meter. Also I pushed my bike long periods it's super steep and bad roads. But also beautiful.
Good luck
2 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

thx
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

phoo

Driving Tosor Pass

Post by phoo »

hi you all..

1. If out of a total trip (10\11 days) With own transportation. I have to choose 2 out of 3 days-places in mid September what would you suggest to take down?
A. Driving from Naryn to Tamga via tossor pass (after Song kol lake the other option is to return from the simpler\shorter day via Kochkor) Will it
still be open on mid Sept? How many hours will that be?
b. Driving from Karakol through Karkara valley, driving along the Kazakhstan border, with views to the Khan Tengri, crossing the border zones of
Echkyltash.
c. .Drive to Altyn Arashan gorge+hot springs?

2. Is there any differance in the way of travelling?
from Bishkek to song kol and than from the south shore to issy kol or oposit ? (Isy kol and than song kol? )
thanks for your help!!!
0 x

cristiano

Re: help with itinerary..

Post by cristiano »

phoo wrote:[...]
1. If out of a total trip (10\11 days) With own transportation. I have to choose 2 out of 3 days-places in mid September what would you suggest to take down?
A. Driving from Naryn to Tamga via tossor pass (after Song kol lake the other option is to return from the simpler\shorter day via Kochkor) Will it
still be open on mid Sept? How many hours will that be?
Own trasportation of what kind? Car or Motorbike?
Naryn to Tamga via Tossor pass is one beautiful but full day: be aware of thunderstorms in the afternoon approaching Tossor Pass. There is a ugly house with hot springs before the pass: if it rains or snows, you can camp there for the night.
It is not the easiest route in Kyrgyzstan: be prepared for it, or enjoy it, if you are searching for offroad ;-)
Mid september? Should be open. Last september 12th 2018 I found snow on the pass, but at 4000 mt it can happen even in july or august.
phoo wrote:[...]
2. Is there any differance in the way of travelling?
from Bishkek to song kol and than from the south shore to issy kol or oposit ? (Isy kol and than song kol? )
thanks for your help!!!
Your question is not so clear: I undertand you will start in Bishkek and you want to visit Song Kol.
In my opinion the best route is from Bishkek to Suusamyr and from there to south shore of Song Kol through beatifull valleys, passing the mine. Then, the south east route from the lake to the main road to Naryn is one of the most beautiful roads in Kyrgyzstan.
But it depends what your plans are...you can go south from Song Kol and then west to Kazarman if you want to go to Osh, or you can exit north east to Sary Bulak on the main track if you are in a hurry and want to go to Issik Kol.

As for mid september..Kyrgyzstan is still beautiful and temperatures still acceptable, but it will be less green than you saw it in pictures, kids will no more be at Song Kol, and beaches on Issik Kul will be almost closed...
4 x

flora.brandstetter

Post by flora.brandstetter »

Hi all.
We are in karakol and wondering if we can do the tossor pass now? Still snow up there?
Maybe someone knows! Thanks!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Try the free Sentinel satellite imagery. It’s updated more than once weekly (but sometimes just shows cloud covering the area you want to see).
2 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I have an app that takes 10 seconds. The last clear cloudless image was May 28. Patches of snow on the north side and 2-3kms of snow on the south side.
1 x

phoo

Tosor pass

Post by phoo »

Hi I understand there was,a land slide onyoosor pass and the way is blocked. Any one knows where is,the blockage and are there predictions for opening? ? Thanks Idit
0 x