Denau-Tursunzade (UZ-TAJ) border crossing

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Irisz

Re: Denau-Tursunzade (UZ-TAJ) border crossing

Post by Irisz »

we crossed from Tadjikistan to Uzbekistan today. We took a shared taxi from the "Zarnisor" station for 20 somoni per person directly to the border.
Walked through, there was noone operating the security check on Tadjik side, so we just passed. When entering Uzbekistan, an officer took me to a seperate room, but just scanned my passport and gave me stamp, same as the officers at the main counter. No problems at all, people were friendly. No checking phones or opening backpacks. On the Uzbek side there are some small restaurants and shops and a toilet after the border station. Some friendly guys organized another shared taxi for us to the train station in Sariyasia for 10.000 som per person.
1 x

wildlight

Post by wildlight »

Crossed this border a few days ago.

Took the daily train from Dushanbe to Пахтаабад, getting off at the second to last stop. 6 som.

Took a taxi to the border from there, 70 som, way overpaid.

Border procedures were normal and fast, less than an hour each way.

Took a taxi from the border to Denov for 200000 sum, they asked 250000 but we negotiated down, however it's difficult cause they set prices together.

Poor exchange rates for uzbek sum and tajik som on each side.

From Denov, an overnight train to Tashkent. The lack of AC in platzkart is brutal.

Overall would recommend. Bargain harder than we did for your prices to get a good deal.
0 x

eslavenas

Post by eslavenas »

DP: Crossed the border at Denau -Tursunzoda by car yesterday. A good experience.

Took a taxi from Bukhara to the border. It was a rainy day and the road from Derbent through the mountains to Denau was hell. Flooded in many places. Avoid it, better take one of the better roads closer to Termez. The distance is longer but it's quicker.

Crossing the border was a breeze.

The car drops you at the gate. An Uzbekistan border guard checks your passport and lets you in. Stopping at Uzbekistan immigration took one minute. They stamped my passport, no questions. Zero interest in my OVIR registration slips. Next the Uzbekistan customs, they ask to put all luggage into an x-ray. No questions. The officer spoke fluent English, was quite cheerful and was making jokes.

The walk to the Tajikistan side is perhaps only 100 m, no need for transport even if you have suitcases.

The Tajikistan border guard asked if I came for less than 30 days and put an entry stamp. He said at land borders they do not have entry/exit forms to fill. So if anyone at the airport at departure asked for the exit form, to tell them I entered by road without any entry exit forms.

I found a driver to Dushanbe while talking to the immigration officer and put my luggage into the car before the customs. When we approached the Tajikistan customs, they said suitcases should be taken out of the car and brought to their x-ray machine. But it was late and raining and I had nothing to declare. So the Customs said ok no worries, forget the x-ray, welcome to Tajikistan.

A very smooth crossing on the whole.

A car ride to Dushanbe was about half an hour, the road v good.
1 x