Border crossing Kaplanbek - Tamozhnya (Kaz - Uz)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
aern

Border crossing Kaplanbek - Tamozhnya (Kaz - Uz)

Post by aern »

Hi everyone. I hope this topic doesn't exist yet, if so excuse me, we don't have very good reception at the moment.

We just crossed the border which is marked as not enough info on the main page.
Kaplanbek Tamozhnya
Kasachstan

https://goo.gl/maps/bXhnNaw2cm32

So after four hours of waiting at Zhybek Zholy, aggressive money changers and some attempts of getting bribes from us to move further down the line, we decided to leave and crossed the border in one and a half hour in Kaplanbek. At the border at Zhybek, an afghan man suggested crossing at the Kaplanbek border, telling us it was open for foreigners. It's some 18 km away from Zhybek.
We arrived at the border and immediately got waved in. After quick checks on the kazakh side, we arrived at the uzbek station, where everybody was really friendly. No bribery attempts at all. Got laught at for not speaking russian😀. Luggage got sniffed by a dog and x-rayed. Some drawers where opened. Nothing special.

In the end, it was a really smooth crossing without any hassle. We crossed in a Toyota Land Cruiser hzj 75.
Cheers aaron
2 x

nomadichappiness

Re: Border crossing Kazakhstan-Uzbekistan Kaplanbek Tamozhnya

Post by nomadichappiness »

I crossed from UZ to KZ.
Waited 1h at the door, passed through a thorough check of all vehicle including roof tent (1st time in 13 borders!) where the agent left a mess and took out my child's bear to make childish if not mocking gestures... Totally rude.
Waited 30min in no man's land with friendly truck drivers taking pictures with my car.
Paperwork in UZ no registration slips asked but my wife was asked for them at the airport yersterday, so have at least one for the last night if you can.
In KZ they sent me here and there but everything is sorted out in 30min. They did not charge anything. They did not ask to buy insurance, but 700km away police caught me and charged me so better buy insurance in town of Saryagash (they sell insurance at this spot : 41.460088, 69.162567 )

In total 4h and we were only 5 cars when i arrived, but i guess i was unlucky, weekend day + rude agents maybe. Still i prefer this relaxed border that the other more hectic one (as described). Just don't make plans thinking you can drive through in less than 2h... you never know
2 x

vistetequenosvamos

Post by vistetequenosvamos »

22/04/19: Border Navoiy Uzbekistan - Kaplanbek Kazakhstan:

Our idea was to arrive on the same day from Tashkent to Shymkent. We alternate public transport with hitchhiking.

From Tashkent we went to the Shaxristom metro stop for 1200 soms/person. It is the last stop of this metro line in Tashkent. In the future they will extend it to Yunusobob. From here we walk 1.5 km approx to Yunusobob Bazar.

We cross the street and in front of the Universam Shopping Center the buses with the number 477 leave for the Uzbek border towards KULTEPA (MAPS.ME). It leaves you in the custom for 1000soms/person.

Another option is to take bus number 91 that leaves from Chosu Bazar and get off at Yunusobob Bazar. Here make the change to bus 477.

We were a little to the expectations that they asked us for the check receipts of the hostels. We only had one night, the rest of the nights we did couchsurfing.

Upon arriving at the Uzbek control, the process of leaving was simple and fast. They did not ask us for hostel records, they did not check backpacks or declare any money - or at the entrance - when leaving the country.

We know recently that at the border control of Nukus-Beynue, a European citizen handed over the accommodation receipts and they looked at them without asking him or for the nights not registered. But an American citizen was asked for housing receipts.

It will depend on your origin and border control. We believe that it is still necessary to register every 3 nights, which we would recommend.

The arrival at the border control of Kazakhstan was simple and fast. Fill in the small entry form. They put 2 stamps on us, that indicated that we were not required to register with the immigration police and another stamp in the passport. This piece of paper is very important to keep until you leave the country.

When leaving there are many taxis that go to Shymkent although we do not know the price. We walk about 3 km to the main road that goes to Shymkent and near the gas station on the road it is very easy to hitchhike to Shymkent. Many cars pass!

We hope our experience helps travelers,

Regards,

Alberto and Sonia
Last edited by vistetequenosvamos on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Not sure why you wrote Navoiy and Kaplanbek in your report...you crossed from Tashkent at the main Chernayevka crossing.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

vistetequenosvamos

Post by vistetequenosvamos »

steven wrote:Not sure why you wrote Navoiy and Kaplanbek in your report...you crossed from Tashkent at the main Chernayevka crossing.
Hello Steven,

We know perfectly wich border we crossed. Our story experience is across the Kaplanbek border - on the other side is also the city of Saryagash -

We never cross the border of Chernayevka crossing!

Regards,

Alberto and Sonia
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border crossing Kaplanbek - Tamozhnya (Kaz - Uz)

Post by steven »

Ok, I read your report again, I absolutely don't understand, but that's ok, I'll believe you. Apologies!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

GMJA

Re: Border crossing Kaplanbek - Tamozhnya (Kaz - Uz)

Post by GMJA »

We crossed the Kaplanbek border crossing with our own car. Well...I don't recommend. The kazakh part was fine. Just make sure you don't pay anything to the people who claim they will help you to pass the queue. It's bullshit.

The problem started an the uzbek side. The line was HUUUGEEE. It's true that on most of the borders the let tourist go first but here it's impossible - the line is at the narrow bridge - no way to bypass the line. Also an officer told us to go on foot (passengers) while no one else did it. We waited 8 hours in a super cold waiting hall. Locals told us it's not always like that. Customs officeres seemed to work extremely slow an with zero work organisation. Maybe some kind of protest.
2 x