Self-driving from Kochkor to Song Kul

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
dekichan

Self-driving from Kochkor to Song Kul

Post by dekichan »

Hey,

I'm renting a small car (Honda Fit) to travel around Kyrgyzstan. I wonder what is the state of road from Kochkor to Song Kul and if it is doable with mentioned car.

Thanks in advance!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Self-driving from Kochkor to Song Kul

Post by steven »

I am sure the car rental company will not be too happy with it but it should be possible. No asphalt obviously and steep inclines but you see all kinds of 30-year-old Ladas doing it so th eHonda will be fine.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

dekichan

Re: Self-driving from Kochkor to Song Kul

Post by dekichan »

Ok, now we've done it and simple answer is: no problem.
The road from Kochkor to Sary Bulak is one of the best roads in the country. A few km after this village you turn to dirt road towards the lake (50km says the sign). Aside from very unpleasant parts where the road is covered with small channels (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washboarding) there are no problems and inclines are not to steep (max 12% according to signs). When by the lake some parts are probably inaccessible because the road passes over a creek - at least I didn't try to get over, but the jeeps, trucks and marshrutka definitely can pass.
1 x