Kazakhstan to Mongolia, any way around Barnaul?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
MichaelAngelo

Kazakhstan to Mongolia, any way around Barnaul?

Post by MichaelAngelo »

Looking for the shortest and least populated route to Mongolia from Kazakhstan. I wonder if anyone has taken the country roads and bypassed Barnaul in the Altai area of Russia? Are the roads really bad? Have 4x4 but would rather not break anything lol.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan to Mongolia, any way around Barnaul?

Post by steven »

I'd be interested to learn more as well. Try to research in Russian w GTranslate. There must be a lot of info on the Runet (sorry, don't have the time to do that myself).
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

hey friends, we are cyclist and did mongolia---> kasakhstan on Bikes. we left the chuysky Trakt Near gorno altaysk in souzga and passed through altayskoye, petropavloskoye, krasnoshekovo and reached the Main road Near kurya. the chuysky Trakt is spectacular!! mountains, forest, rivers....just wow. And the road is perfectly paved. right from the turnoff in souzga the road quality changes quite drastically to a bumpy, old, 1000times fixed road. and the scenery gets a bit boring.

If i had a Jeep and enough time, i would get a border permit for belukha mountains and make a detour there somehow. i remember there was a more Southern shortcut but not 100 % sure
2 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Tobbe wrote:hey
@Tobbe, so if I understand you correctly the main road through Altai is good quality and spectecular, but the shortcut is a bit boring and of bad quality?
So maybe not really worth it to take the shortcut? And maybe in a car also not shorter in time then the main roads?
0 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

we did taschanta--->mikhailovka(kasakh border) on a 10 day Transit Visa wich was super tight to ride as it was ~1000 Kilometers. But the part on the chuysky Trakt (wich is the Highway from Mongolian border taschanta to novosibirsk) was amazing. So beautifull. We didnt have a choice but with a car i would either spent more time in remote border areas like belukha or go via barnaul . Chuysky Trakt is perfectly paved but expect damaged roads when you leave it.
I hope that helps. feel free to ask if you need further info
1 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

and yeah again, the shortcut that i described above (altayskoye-petropavlovskoye-krasnoshekovo-kurya) is not really something i would recommend. its some faceless villages, agricultural fields around..nothing mindblowing ;-)
1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Ok then to me (with car) it sounds like we should stick to the main roads. But I understand why you did it.
How were the roads around Kurya to the border? We are thinking about taking that crossing, not the main one from Semey
0 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

the road from kurya to the border mikhaikovka was ok, definitely not good but ok compared to what we were riding on before. Not much traffic.
The process at the border seems easy except in the case you have a massive beard. i did so and the Took my passport, disappeaered, made we wait for a while not telling me anything and finally Interviewed me about my Political mindset, opinion on russia, USA, syria, crimea.....
Was interesring for me but in the end they let me pass.
1 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

they asked me for my religion, and definetely thought i was not for tourism purposes there but for something that is spelled similiar to Tourism but way different. finally i could convince then that iam just a peaceful cyclist
1 x