Pamir Highway in March/April

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Ianroger

Post by Ianroger »

Hi there,

Was wondering how busy the highway and region is at the end of April. Will homestays and Yurts be available? Will trucks be available to hitch with? Will the normally limited local transport be running? (eg. Khorog to Ishkashim)

Any advice would be useful. My buddy and I would like to travel without using a tour guide or hired trasnport.

Cheers,

Ian
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Pamir Highway at end of April

Post by steven »

There will be trucks, local transport and homestays available. Transport is at a lower frequency than otherwise. If you are driving yourself, make sure you are prepared for snow.

All info regarding Pamir Highway in winter at https://caravanistan.com/tajikistan/pam ... ay/#winter
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bahken

Pamir Highway in end of March

Post by bahken »

Me and my friend are planning on doing the route Dushanbe - Khorog - Murghab - Osh at the end of this month. Any recent visitors in that area, that can tell us about the current conditions on the roads and etc? Is it doable/recommended? We will either rent a car with a driver for the entire trip, or just find shareable taxis along the way.
0 x

twan2000

Post by twan2000 »

Hello everybody !
I want to cross the Pamir road from Douchanbé until Och with my motorbike in March or April. I read different informations about this : some of them said than the road is always open and some others said that the road is closed when there is too much snow.
So my question is : is it possible to cross this road in March or April, and specially with a motorbike (snow is very dangerous for the bikers) ?
Thank you for your help !
Antoine
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Pamir road in March/April by Motorbike : possible ?

Post by bwv812 »

The road doesn't have scheduled closures and isn't seasonal, but I assume like all roads it may be closed or impassable after heavy snow.
0 x

margx

Re: Pamir Highway in March/April

Post by margx »

Hi!
I just saw this post and i was wondering if @bahken or @ twan2000 (or any other person) actually went to the Pamir Highway in march/april then?
Is it really possible (even if it's really not the best time weathelike), with a 4x4 car i guess?
Thanks in advance,
Margaux
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Pamir Highway in March/April

Post by steven »

Yes it's possible, tourists travel all-year round and locals do as well.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D