Mazar-e-sharif safety 2018/19

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Dylanvienet

Mazar-e-sharif safety 2018/19

Post by Dylanvienet »

Hello All,

I am a relatively regular visitor to both Caravanistan and Central Asia as a whole. I'm glad to say I will be returning next year to Uzbekistan and also visiting Turkmenistan for the first time next April.

There are two main questions I need answered here:

As I will have a lot of free time in Uzbekistan, I am very tempted to cross into Afghanistan for 1 or 2 nights to see the Shrine of Ali and Balkh ruins. I am still a bit pensive and have been umming and ahing about it because it is Afghanistan, but the general rule of thumb seems to be the further south you go, the more dangerous it becomes. I am also just as worried about missing the opportunity to visit this stunning place. Has anyone gone to Mazar-e-Sharif recently and what are my best options should I decide to go?

This brings me onto my next question about the Uzbek visa. I understand that it is not possible to get a double entry visa with the new e-visa system but according to this site it is technically possible to apply for a second one while in Uzbekistan. Has anyone done this recently without any problems with the authorities in Uzbekistan? If i decide to go to Afghanistan, I would prefer to get the E-visa to save money and the process of mailing my passport to the embassy again. Traveling on an Australian passport and there is no Uzbek consulate or embassy here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Dylan
0 x

SPR11

Re: Mazar-e-sharif safety 2018/19

Post by SPR11 »

Mazar is relatively safe, especially if you only stay a couple of days. The situation in Balkh changes all the time so you'll have to find out once in Afghanistan.

I don't know about your second question.

I updated our Afghanistan guide after another 2 weeks in the county last month. The info on the border crossing, Mazar, and Balkh is still relevant: https://www.lostwithpurpose.com/afghani ... vel-guide/
2 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Mazar-e-sharif safety 2018/19

Post by steven »

Regarding the second question, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7423
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D