Almaty to Astana by road using marshrutka and coach

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
sd99

Almaty to Astana by road using marshrutka and coach

Post by sd99 »

Hi!

This is my first post on the caravanistan forums and it is regarding the best way to go by road from Almaty to Astana. I have a half baked notion of doing a 2 week trip to Kazakhstan later this year but due to the difficulty in buying train tickets from the UK I am looking for more information on the following...

How long and what is the quickest route from Almaty to Astana by road using just long distances coaches and marshrutka? Looking at google maps the only potential stopping points are Balkhash and Karagandy.

For the long distance coaches am I able to turn up at the bus station and get on or is it as difficult as the trains for foreigners to book?

How much should I pay to get from Almaty to Astana?

Thanks in advance
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Almaty to Astana by road using marshrutka and coach

Post by steven »

Hi!

You should be able to book a bus ticket the same day, buses are not in demand like trains which are a lot more comfortable, sort of the same price and faster as well. I think in one go it would be 20-24h Almaty-Astana. Karaganda and Balkhash are both off-the-beaten-track destinations, but therefore not without interest. But a detour into the south (Shymkent, Taraz etc.) is perhaps not a bad idea.

I don't know the prices, but my guess is around 25$ for the whole trip.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D