Hojayli - Konye-Urgench border crossing (UZ - TM)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border crossing from/to Turkmenistan

Post by steven »

Thank you, that seems correct. Updated the article.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

squawkerys

Post by squawkerys »

Hi there,

Did you have any problems getting though via Dashogus. I applied for and received a transit visa via Khonye Urgench (well, email confirmation to collect a visa) and now understand the border is still closed.

Wondering they'll refuse me at Dashogus since it's not what's stated on the confirmation??

Cheers, Rich
0 x

FlorVallejo

Post by FlorVallejo »

Hi Rich,

We didn't have any problem crossing at Dashoguz (also we had on our visa written Khonye). But as long as we were in Nukus, what we understood was that the border was not closed due to "constrution" but for "university exams". Also we understood that from August 1st should be open... if you are in Nukus, ask on your hotel or go to the hotel we've been if they have more information (Jilek Joli).

Hope this would help. Cheers, Flor :)
0 x

squawkerys

Post by squawkerys »

Thanks Flor! Yes, I'm at the same hotel after returning from the Aral Sea. They mention closed due to construction, but will double/triple check. Glad you had no problems entering anyway,,,doubling back to Urgench is no real hassle.

Cheers, Rich
0 x

FlorVallejo

Post by FlorVallejo »

Hi Rich,

Haha, nice place to stay! :) There, the woman in charge said under construction, but the recepcionist guys told us something about "university exams", that turkmen people go to UZ to study because it was cheap and explanations that sounded like nonsenses. But well, we didn't want to go back to Urganch, we were worried to enter in a border that we were not allowed to... but well, no problem at all.

Finally, entering through Dashoguz or Konye Urgench, the route to go to Ashgabat (and Darvaza Crater) is maainly the same, so it mustn't be a great deal to enter in one border or another. We went from Dashoguz to Konye because we thought there was only one way to get to Darvaza. We saw the ruins from outside and then did autostop (easy). But if you are not interested in the ruins, there is one straight route that goes from Dashoguz to Darvaza and Ashgabat, with more trucks, no need to go to Konye. Both routes join at some point.

Cheers, Flor
0 x

110+countries

Post by 110+countries »

I've just been advised by the agency organising my LOIs for Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan that the Uzbek-Turkmen border crossing at Khodjeyli is closed for rebuilding till 1 November. I have to change my travel plans to cross at Shavat-Dashoguz - unfortunately an extra 2 hours drive for me to reach Kunya Urgench.
0 x

Spaans

Post by Spaans »

Hi all,

I was planning to cross into Turkmenistan from Uzbekistan through the Hojeli crossing on the 26th. Does anyone have an updat whether the crossing is open again. I could play it safe and cross at Dasoguz, but my visa states I have to cross at K. Urgench. So updates would be very welcome.

Stefan
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No updates, but I would try first at K. Urgench as it says so on your visa.
0 x

Zigaturk

Post by Zigaturk »

Hi,

We are planning to enter Turkmenistan from Iran at the Bajgiran border crossing and exit at the Konye-Urgech to Uzbekistan as it is written on our visa. Is it no problem to exit at Dashogus it K.-U. border crossing is closed?

I will let you know if I hear anything when we cross into Turkmenistan and would appreciate any info regarding this border crossing.

Thanks!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Zigaturk wrote: Is it no problem to exit at Dashogus it K.-U. border crossing is closed?
If it is closed it should not be a problem to cross elsewhere, you have a pretty good excuse.
Zigaturk wrote:I will let you know if I hear anything when we cross into Turkmenistan and would appreciate any info regarding this border crossing.
Do let us know!
0 x