Hojayli - Konye-Urgench border crossing (UZ - TM)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Jaipur1

Re: Hojayli - Konye-Urgench border crossing (UZ - TM)

Postby Jaipur1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:26 pm

I crossed this border yesterday from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan. It took about an hour, but it was fairly straightforward. I was the only one at the time, around 11.00 am, but a couple of Uzbeks followed on from me fairly soon after. I was told that Turkmenistan closes it's border post for lunch, from 12.00 to 2.00, but I didn't confirm this. I played safe and got there early.

At the Turkmenistan gate, your passport and Uzbek e-visa are checked, then it's about a 500m walk to the actual border post. Customs is first and a declaration needs to be filled, but the customs guy was very helpful. Then, baggage inspection. Photos on my camera were viewed. They weren't bothered about my tablet or Kindle or phone. Next, passport control.

After that, about a 100m walk to the Uzbekistan border post. Passport control first, pretty easy. Then bags are scanned. Customs guy was very interested in my tablet, but as he spoke no English, he gave up after awhile and let me go forward to the gate. No currency declaration required as indicated elsewhere in this site.

There was no transport of any kind waiting on the Uzbekistan side, but after 5 minutes, a car turned up and took me to my Nukus hotel for USD 10. There were no other passengers.

All up, a fairly painless experience.
2 x

bocekm

Postby bocekm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm

We went the UZ->TM way with a car. Uzbeks didnt want our registration slips, were friendly and quick. On the Turkmen side, everything takes ages. They write your information into about 10 books, by hand. Also you need to go to the cashier multiple times. But in the end we paid less then expected for a two day passage through Derwaza and Ashgabat to Howden. The price depends on the number of kilometers and days you plan to drive through Turkmenistan. They calculated our route to be 699km.

Every payment had additional 4 USD fee for the Turkmenbashi bank:
Passenger entry per person 10 USD
Bank fee 4 USD
Disinfection 1 USD
Processing of the car documents 5 USD
Car entry and transit fee 28 USD
Fuel compensation 30 USD
Car insurance 35 USD
Bank fee 4 USD
Fee for the GPS unit they give you 10 USD
Bank fee 4 USD

Total 141 USD for two persons plus car. Actually we paid additional 2x55 USD (plus 4 USD bank fee) for getting the Turkmen visa on the border. We applied in Bishkek and received an invitation letter through email with which we went directly to theborder.
1 x

gpl

Postby gpl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 pm

same as bocekm’s post, smooth border crossing in Oct 18. but want to add that:
- i exchanged dollars in konye urgench. rate was 18 manat for 1 usd. But it could be more (it was almost night and bazaar was close so i found only one person keen to exchange. dont change at the bank (rate is 3,5))
- there is apparently only one hotel in konye urgench but it was close when i got there (it seemed close for a long time)
2 x

patuszak

Postby patuszak » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 am

Does any of you know anything about fuel export from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan? As there is a huge problem with petrol in Karakalpakstan, entering to UZ with a full tank and jerry cans would partially solve the problem. Thanks a lot in advance!
0 x
Trip 2019 on a motorbike: from Poland to Kazakhstan through: Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Slovenia, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:20 am

At https://caravanistan.com/transport/driv ... fuel-price I have that you cannot fill up jerry cans at the pump in Turkmenistan.

But perhaps you can fill up in Iran and pass through Turkmenistan?
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

patuszak

Postby patuszak » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 pm

steven wrote:At https://caravanistan.com/transport/driv ... fuel-price I have that you cannot fill up jerry cans at the pump in Turkmenistan.

But perhaps you can fill up in Iran and pass through Turkmenistan?

What a smart idea! :mrgreen: Thanks, Steven!
0 x
Trip 2019 on a motorbike: from Poland to Kazakhstan through: Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Slovenia, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan

Felix

Postby Felix » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:35 am

I crossed last week, straightforward, Turkem guys were expremly keen to avoid any complications. Temperature was taken on leaving TM (by the guy who helped fill in the customs declaration such that there would be no problems) and on entering UZ (by a guy in a doctor's outfit). All in all no big deal. Other details such as 500 m walk still exist
1 x

FSeixasPT

Postby FSeixasPT » Fri May 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Can anyone confirm whether I'll be able to use this border crossing to enter Turkmenistan if my transit visa lists "Dashoguz" as the entry point? Thanks!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:02 pm

It isn't the Dashogus border, so I would suspect not.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Kanter

Postby Kanter » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Hello,

I obtained a transit visa from Turkmenistan, and I have to leave by this border to enter into Uzbekistan. Can anyone confirm that only passport is needed without any other document for countries which not need any visa (France for me) ? Do not want to be rejected :D
0 x