Penjikent Border Crossing Reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Penjikent Border Crossing

Postby steven » Tue May 17, 2016 11:54 am

It will be closed. Oybek is the next best thing but it is a long way round. See the border crossing pages for an overview.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Laroco

Tajikistan Penjikent border crossing

Postby Laroco » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi
We will be travelling the SilkRoad this spring, expecting to arrive in Samarkand early June. We read the Tajikistan Penjikent border crossing might be opening in 2016. Any news on that? would love to travel via the Fan Mountains down the pamir highway
Thanks for any info
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Tajikistan Penjikent border crossing

Postby bwv812 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:23 am

If you read that information here, then it was simply me optimistically speculating: there is no hard news about it, so far as I know.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

ibex

Samarkand - Penjikent border will open in spring 2018

Postby ibex » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 am

The Penjikent-Samarkand checkpoint on the Tajik-Uzbek border will resume its operation this spring after an eight-year break, TajikTA news agency reported quoting a source in the State Committee for National Security of Tajikistan.

https://en.trend.az/casia/tajikistan/2845437.html

Also a Tajik tour guide spoke about the Smarkand - Penjikent border opening after Nowruz (21. March) 2018.

Additionally, Uzbek visas can be obtained more easily, see https://thediplomat.com/2018/02/uzbekis ... ols-again/
1 x

roro

Postby roro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 am

Hi,

It looks good, hoping it will be in effect!

RR.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am

The border is opening today, actually. Will update soon.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

DaveFY7

Re: Penjikent Border Crossing Reports

Postby DaveFY7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 pm

News from Tajikistan/Uzbekistan....

From March 2 all overseas tourists are welcome to come to Tajikistan via the checkpoint Samarqand-Panjakent

#SilkRoad #Tourism4Tajikistan
#Samaqand #Panjakent #evisa #FridayFeeling https://t.co/QZQBVeQbpK
1 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Postby mazeno » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 am

anzob tunnel is no more "infamous".
now there are no potholes, the road is flat and dry, the air is clean and there are lights. and if i remember well there are also emergency phones (but i'm not sure of it as i drove fast).
it is not switzerland but it is ok.
2 x
rgds -
mazeno

roro

Postby roro » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks again for thiese good news!
Sure it's not Switzerland, nor France but we are not going there to be like home :mrgreen:
RR.
0 x

explorer

Postby explorer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:26 pm

I was traveling from Samarkand to Dushanbe today and I used the Penjikent border crossing. It went very well, no problems at all.

I took a shared taxi from Samarkand to the border, took us close to an hour due to a couple of stops on the way to load / offload other passengers (20.000 Som / 2 EUR).

At the border taxis can not pull up directly to the border post, you have to walk approx. 1 km on the street.

The Uzbek checkpoint - document check, luggage was x-rayed. Got an handshake and bye-bye from Uzbekistan.

Then on to the Tajik border post - passport check, photo taken, e-visa checkend, stamp into the passport. On to a small medical booth, where some of my passport data was noted down, no questions asked. Outside the border post a final document check and through a gate into Tajikistan. Super smooth process.

Taxis were readily available. The going rate for a whole car to Dushanbe was 100 Somoni / 10 Euros - unbelievable for this 5 hour trip. There were also money changers who changed my Uzbek Som into Tajik Somoni.

The trip through the Fann moutains was breathtaking. As stated by mazeno the Anzob tunnel was quite ok, no potholes, some light in the tunnel, ventilation however was lacking, so close the windows ;)
3 x