Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Dklyang

Re: Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Post by Dklyang »

Hi Steven,

Do you have the name of tour operator that go to Wakhan Corridor ?

Thx
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, please send us a mail to [email protected] with what you need.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jessev

Afghan Wakhan Risks

Post by jessev »

Hello All,
This past summer I hitchiked and walked the Bartang and Wakhan valleys in Tajikistan. I am now planning this coming summer and I want to do the Afghan Wakhan this time. Ideally I would like to use the entire length of the visa and stay in the Wakhan for a month. My question is: is it possible to walk/hitchhike the Afghan Wakhan or is it too risky? I'd prefer not to hire a guide until I get to Sarhad and I'd like to do most of the Wakhan alone and avoid the expensive transportation until the way back. Physically I don't think I should have issues, I was able to walk 10-15 miles a day in Tajikistan and this time around I should be able to do more as I'll be better equipped to carry supplies. I'll also have camping materials so it is not crucial that I be at a homestay every night. My main concern is that I've been told that while the Wakhan is safe, it is still dangerous to walk and hitchhike the length of it on the Afghan side. Advice? Opinions? All info is appreciated. Thank you.
-Jesse
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I recently did a big update on the Wakhan corridor article: have another look there to see that you can avoid the expensive transport another way. I would say that you'd be missing out. By the time you get to Sarhad (from where it starts to get interesting) it will be time to head back.

Hitchhike rides, it looks like it is possible https://caravanistan.com/afghanistan/wakhan-corridor/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Resurrecting this thread to share this article from Al Jazeera: it seems that the Taliban have managed to overrun a city in Kunduz province and are now in control of border posts with Tajikistan. I think it's also near the location of the Russian base.
Taliban captures Afghanistan’s main Tajikistan border crossing

Some security forces abandon their posts and flee across the frontier as the Taliban seizes Shir Khan Bandar crossing.

The Taliban has captured Afghanistan’s main border crossing with Tajikistan, an Afghan provincial official and army officer said on Tuesday, with some security forces abandoning their posts and fleeing across the frontier.

The seizure of Shir Khan Bandar, in the far north of Afghanistan about 50km (30 miles) from Kunduz city, is the most significant gain for the Taliban since it stepped up operations on May 1 when the US began the final stages of its troop withdrawal.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/2 ... r-crossing
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

danto1

Post by danto1 »

thanks for sharing.
any security concerns driving the pamir highway?
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Just saw this about the situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYISBqb3zHY

As taliban is gather momentum then probably will gain lots more like in the past.
1 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram