Crossing Russia/Kazakh and Kazakh/ China borders on foot

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Tony

Crossing Russia/Kazakh and Kazakh/ China borders on foot

Post by Tony »

Hi I want to walk from Europe to Singapore as it's never been done before!
Does anyone know of any sure borders that allow foreigners to walk across from Russia to Kazakhstan and same from Kazakhstan to China. I don't want to take any form of traffic for even one metre and avoid no mans land problems!?
Second question is the current Kazakhstan visa free travel likely to be extended beyond this July?
Thanks for info, great forum!
0 x

Bart-Jan

Re: Crossing Russia/Kazakh and Kazakh/ China borders on foot

Post by Bart-Jan »

Hi Tony,
I'm actually planning on doing something very similar to what you're describing.
In about a month I will be starting on my trip, walking from Istanbul to Xi'an (see also here: http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=554)
I cannot answer this specific question, since my planned route won't cross the Kazakh-China border, however I did a lot of research already and encountered quite a few practical problems with walking all the way (mainly visa related).
It might be nice to get in touch.
Bart-Jan
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Crossing Russia/Kazakh and Kazakh/ China borders on foot

Post by steven »

Ps, are you sure nobody ever walked from eu to singapore? We get a couple of east-west walkers each year.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D