Iran-Azerbaijan Border Crossing in Astara

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
UsInWorld

Re: Iran-Azerbaijan Border Crossing in Astara

Post by UsInWorld »

Azerbaijan land borders opens late May/early June

Read it here: https://azpolitika.info/?p=674702

Anyone seen it in other places to confirm its true?
0 x

john_juan

Post by john_juan »

The border from Iran (Astara) to Astara (Azerbaijan) is still closed as of May 11, 2022.

I found out the hard way when the immigration officers denied me entry! Apparently, you'll need a "code" to enter into Azerbaijan and this code can be obtained from the consulate in Tabriz or embassy in Tehran which takes up to 3 days.
1 x

ianide

Post by ianide »

Hello john_juan,
john_juan wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:25 pm
The border from Iran (Astara) to Astara (Azerbaijan) is still closed as of May 11, 2022.

I found out the hard way when the immigration officers denied me entry! Apparently, you'll need a "code" to enter into Azerbaijan and this code can be obtained from the consulate in Tabriz or embassy in Tehran which takes up to 3 days.
Do you mean it IS possible to cross the border once you obtain a code from Tehran? Can regular travelers obtain it? Thank you!
0 x

Boobaa

Post by Boobaa »

We went to the border on June 16 from the Iranian side and it’s definitely still closed. No exceptions. Border staff was very clear about this. It doesn’t matter if you have a visum. I don’t fully understand the issue but I assume that the „code“ is related to a working-/residence-permit which you simply dont get if you are not eg a truck driver. Personal invite, help from agencies, connections - all of that doesn’t help here.
0 x

Lzh

Post by Lzh »

Bad news:

Land borders will remain closed until September 1

https://jam-news.net/azerbaijan-extends ... ptember-1/
0 x

Zymbo

Post by Zymbo »

Hello,
does anyone has an update about this border crossing, is it still closed?

Thanks for information!
0 x

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Just wanted to update-
I crossed successfully from Azerbaijan to Iran at the Astara border crossing on 6 Nov 2022 (Italian passport). Simple enough process- Azeris checked to make sure I had an Iranian visa and gave me an exit stamp in a matter of minutes. Iranians kept me and questioned me for a couple hours- mainly because of past Afghan, Iraqi, and Yemeni visas in my passport and why I was entering from Azerbaijan rather than flying into Tehran. Overall they were quite friendly and questioning was done over glasses of chai. I think partly they were bored because the border crossing was completely dead with no one showing up to cross while I was there.

I’m not entirely sure that crossing back into Azerbaijan over the land border is possible though, my shared taxi driver to Astara had mentioned that he had last heard that people are able to exit over land borders from Azerbaijan but not enter.
3 x

mnoumanhamdard

Post by mnoumanhamdard »

Hey All.

I'd like to travel to Azerbaijan via Iran (Astara-Astara Border), is it still closed or open? and What about the return route (Azerbaijan -> Iran)? Please share any updates with me if you have.

Thanks.
0 x

borekj

Post by borekj »

We crossed this border from Azerbaijan to Iran in mid-July 2023 on Sunday at 10 AM. Group of 6 Czechs, on foot. We hitchhiked to Astara from Baku with a brief stop to Qobustan volcanoes the day before. We slept in a hotel for about 25 AZN/person I think.

The border is closed for Azeris and Iranians, only foreigners can come, therefore it was extremely quiet. In fact, it was pretty hard to even find where should we go in AZ Astara. Eventually, locals help us to open a door in a hidden alley, and there AZ officers were waiting. On AZ side without any problem, they briefly asked where have we been, only girls had to wait for about 15 minutes until a female officer came to see how they go through x-ray. They said about 5 people come trough the border per day on average.

Then we crossed the bridge to Iran. First officers only looked through our passports, then there was a "health check", where they measured temperatures. We got a cookie for that, which I think is a pretty good deal. Then there was a passport control, we had our visa from an embassy, so no problem. Girls put their scarf already on the bridge. After that a brief check of our backpacks, always the same question "do you have wine?". We didn't, so I was selected for a final interview, where we had about 20 minutes discussion about our plans in Iran and where have we been.

Finally have we been released, right after we stepped out of the door, we were approached by money hasslers. They promised quite a good rate (525000 for 1 euro), but then they gave us money for a rate of about 400000. It took us quite an effort to get our money back. After about 300 metres in the city, there is a lot of exchange offices with a good rate (530000, we couldn't get better anywhere).

We bought Sim cards and hitchhiked under Mount Sabalan the same day.
2 x