Safety+Language in Baku + Azerbaijan (besides Armenia/Azeri border)

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
justine

Safety+Language in Baku + Azerbaijan (besides Armenia/Azeri border)

Post by justine »

Hi! I plan on visiting Baku in July with my parents and they're a little worried about safety. We're from Sydney, but live in Chicago now. We look Asian (we're Japanese).

What should I be on the look out for?
Also are there any other cities/towns I should visit near Baku? Thank you!
Last edited by justine on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Safety+Language in Baku + Azerbaijan (besides Armenia/Azeri border)

Post by steven »

Hi Justine,

Baku is as safe as most other cities in Eurasia, I cannot see what could happen to you if you follow basic precautions which you intend to. In any case, it should be a lot safer than the average American city in terms of crime and violence. There is no overt racism towards Asians. Baku is a relatively cosmopolitan place. In the countryside you might see surprised stares, but people are friendly and curious, not hostile, towards foreigners. There is a culture of hospitality like elsewhere in the region.

There are a lot of Americans in Baku for the oil. Most people do not know English, but do not let that stop you engaging with them. GTranslate + hand gestures go a long way.

As for things to visit in Azerbaijan, that's a topic worthy of a book, one that I have still to write and investigate. In the meantime, I recommend Lonely Planet Caucasus for a general overview and Mark Elliot's Trailblazer Guide to Azerbaijan for an in-depth view of where to go and what to see in Azerbaijan.

Enjoy!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

agshin

Re: Safety+Language in Baku + Azerbaijan (besides Armenia/Azeri border)

Post by agshin »

Steven, I appreciate for informing people. Cheers
0 x
Agshin