Where to get a Tajik SIM card between Sary-Tash and Murghab?

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
GoingAroundPlaces

Where to get a Tajik SIM card between Sary-Tash and Murghab?

Post by GoingAroundPlaces »

Hey-
Have searched the forums and not found an answer, so figured I'd ask myself:
I'll be cycling from Sary-Tash in Kyrgyzstan across the Tajik border to Karakul and then hopefully into the Bartang Valley.
Is there anywhere to get a Tajik SIM (from any carrier) before I hit the turnoff for the Bartang Valley and without having to go to Murghab? (which would necessitate two days' riding to pick up a SIM and return to the start of the valley).
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
0 x

timagius91

Re: Where to get a Tajik SIM card between Sary-Tash and Murghab?

Post by timagius91 »

When will you be riding in Tajik?
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

In 2013 we bought a SIM card in Karakul, not sure which carrier would be best for Bartang.
1 x

HDN

Post by HDN »

Also interested in this since we also go through bartang mid August.
When Will you travel through bartang, and can you maybe give an update concerning Road conditions ?
0 x

Budgie Escapee

Post by Budgie Escapee »

Not sure about Karakul. Murgab didn't have any when I was there a couple of weeks ago - sounded like they were waiting for a delivery.

Regarding carriers, your best bet is to get Megafon. I started with T-Mobile but had no signal until I was near big towns like Ishkashem and Khorog. Bee Line poor also. Megafon is apparently the best.
0 x

GoingAroundPlaces

Post by GoingAroundPlaces »

timagius91 wrote:When will you be riding in Tajik?
timagius91, I'm looking to be entering the country around the 1st week of August (depending on the vagaries of travel thru the southern half of Kyrgyzstan).
HDN wrote:Also interested in this since we also go through bartang mid August.
When Will you travel through bartang, and can you maybe give an update concerning Road conditions ?
HDN, looking myself at attempting Bartang early-mid August, but will talk to people about river levels when I get to Karakol; cyclists I've met here in Kyrgyzstan have alternately told me there's too much snow and the river will be high then, or (more encouragingly) that they went thru in the last couple weeks and that most of the snow has already melted. In any case, assuming I do Bartang, will definitely post conditions for the community here. =)
Pamirski wrote:In 2013 we bought a SIM card in Karakul, not sure which carrier would be best for Bartang.
Budgie Escapee wrote:Not sure about Karakul. Murgab didn't have any when I was there a couple of weeks ago - sounded like they were waiting for a delivery.

Regarding carriers, your best bet is to get Megafon. I started with T-Mobile but had no signal until I was near big towns like Ishkashem and Khorog. Bee Line poor also. Megafon is apparently the best.
Thanks Pamirski and Budgie Escapee. Like so many things in this part of the world, I reckon it'll probably be a crapshoot as to where I can find a SIM and what carriers are available. Will see what's possible when I get into the neighbourhood.

Thanks again everyone! =)
0 x

olmo

Post by olmo »

Best way for the SIM will be asking travelers coming your way, you will meet a few and chat. Most will have a SIM that they will happily pass on to you :) And yes, Megafon and Tcell should be the only ones of use in the Pamirs ...
1 x