Tajik somoni black market rates

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Nicole

Re: Tajik somoni black market rates

Post by Nicole »

I was in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan last year and for Tajikistan I definitely recommend having all cash you need in USD prior to you arrival. It was rare to find an ATM that actually had money in it in the country. Kyrgyzstan I had much better luck, but still frequently came across ATMs with no money in them.
0 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

lissie45 wrote:I don't think the situation has changed in the last month - see the post above yours
My main concern was the exchange rates. What is the bank rate (which you get when using an atm) v the street exchange rate?
0 x

TomasS

Post by TomasS »

But there is no street exchange rate- nobody on the streets, bazars change money. The best option is just to withdrawn money from ATM. The second one is to change foreign currency in bank, exchange kiosk, but there will be worse rate
1 x

olmo

Post by olmo »

No problem in Dushanbe getting money from ATMs, Kazkom seems to be a safe bet - and you can get both Somoni or USD at their machines (up to $500 per transaction).
0 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

olmo wrote:No problem in Dushanbe getting money from ATMs, Kazkom seems to be a safe bet - and you can get both Somoni or USD at their machines (up to $500 per transaction).
Hi olmo thanks for this. Do you know if you remove usd from the ATM if they convert your banking currency (usd in my case) into somoni and then back to usd? This is when you really get screwed I have found that if you withdraw usd1000 up to usd1200 can debit out of your account.
0 x

olmo

Post by olmo »

seysearles wrote: Hi olmo thanks for this. Do you know if you remove usd from the ATM if they convert your banking currency (usd in my case) into somoni and then back to usd? This is when you really get screwed I have found that if you withdraw usd1000 up to usd1200 can debit out of your account.
No, they debit the amount in USD, as should be. Anything else, if not explicitly confirmed at the ATM, would be against VISA/MC rules and you should report this to your bank.

I know it only from European ATMs, some suggest to withdraw in your "home" currency at a "favorable" rate sometimes 10% worse than official rate, but there is always an option to opt out of this scam ...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

At the moment it seems you can sell dollars, but buying dollars back at the end of your trip might prove very difficult.

https://news.tj/ru/news/tajikistan/econ ... rnii-rinok

bank rate - 9.44 somoni
black market rate - 9.80 somoni
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

does anybody know the current rate of black market dollar to somoni?
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

TheVantasticBrice

Post by TheVantasticBrice »

Hi,
Now the black market is not really worth it. The rate at the exchange desk are pretty good (best than in a bank most of the time).
1 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

i'm not wondering if it is worth or not.
(try to exchange money in khorog on weekend. the only place is the bazar.)
so what's the rate?
0 x
rgds -
mazeno