Kolsai and Kaindy Lakes: Trip reports and Q&A

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

All questions, reports and recommendations regarding Kolsai Lakes and Kaindy are welcome below. We summarize all travel intelligence in our guide to Kolsai and Kaindy Lakes
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Loeibeer

Post by Loeibeer »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if I can make it to Saty with a Mercedes Sprinter (no 4 wheeldrive). Its 70 km to Saty from the main road (close to the canton)

Thanks!
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Re: Road to Kolsay Lake in Kazachstan

Post by mazeno »

you can even get to the lake.
to zhalanash: don't take the road from kegen (across shirganak, taldy, kensu) - it can destroy every car. take the road p-16 along charyn river valley (it is mostly good tarmac).
the road from saty to lake kaindy is much more difficult, you will need high ground clearance angle.
1 x
rgds -
mazeno

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

The road to Saty was under construction this summer. We were there a few days ago, it is almost finished. A bit bumpy still, otherwise very smooth sailing.
0 x

Loeibeer

Post by Loeibeer »

Allright thanks everyone, very helpful!
0 x

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Hey.

We went to Kolsai and kiandy lake 30th of November. Honestly, with rocks and winter, I would advice to take 4wd.
For kolsai with 4wd, it will be difficult, for kolsai it is impossible (big rocks and small rover to cross)

Maybe in summer, this is different, but in winter, better get this 4wd.

Also, they did not let us go to kolsai lake 2 with the snow :(
Note that they did not let us go to kiandy by car, they stopped us at the entrance and we had to walk for 4 km.
1 x

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

As stated on the subpage of caravanistan.com, road to Kolsai Lakes was closed due to landslide in April. I've seen recent comments on tripadvisor stating that the road to Kolsai Lakes has been reopened so the update may be considered.
But on the other side, I've also heard rumors on Kaindy lake road being affected by landslide too. Is it a mistake or just another landslide occurred? Can anyone confirm that roads to both Kaindy and Kolsai are opened as of June 2018?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

As per my info, the direct road to Kolsai is still blocked but you can get there via Kurmytty village which is what everyone is doing.

The road to Kaindy lake is open.
0 x

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Thank you, this really helps! I'll report road conditions after my visit.
0 x

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

After my visit in mid-July, I can now confirm that both lakes are accessible. There are ongoing construction works on the road to Kolsai and a new asphalt road directly to the lower lake is expected soon. Currently, workers are closing fragments of the road while laying asphalt, so short (10-20 min.) traffic congestions are possible. Any car will easily get to the lake.

The road to Kaindy lake is quite bumpy, but a 4WD car will get there with no problem. Actually, we saw a regular Lexus making its way to the top, after we helped them and pushed the car out of the mud in one place. The road also crosses a shallow stream, so I'd recommend at least SUV to go there. There is probably also a taxi that can take you forth and back. Both lakes are accessible after paying entrance fee, so you can ask guard at the checkpoint for current road conditions.
1 x