Report: The Uzbek Embassy in Moscow

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Report: The Uzbek Embassy in Moscow

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Uzbek embassy in Moscow below.

We summarize all info in the embassy reports of the Uzbek visa page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

muteki

Uzbek visa in Moscow

Post by muteki »

I posted this on a different forum a while ago, but thought it might be useful. Edited for length.

I'm preparing to apply for a visa to Uzbekistan. I'm a US citizen currently in Moscow, so have been trying to figure out how to do this process from here. There's a lot of different information on the internet, and most of it isn't very current, so I figured I'd report on how my visit was today. I didn't apply yet, but had a bunch of questions about the process.

First off, in Moscow there are two different buildings for the Uzbek Embassy and Consulate. I went to the consulate, was redirected to the embassy, and then redirected back to the consulate! Luckily, I stumbled on the right location. So, here is the location where I was able to have my questions answered:

2-й Казачий пер., дом 2
in English: 2 Kazachiy Per., Building 2 (2nd Cossack Lane)
close to Polyanka Metro Station (Russian: Полянка)

Info from official website:

Hours: Monday - Friday from 10.00 to 13.00 hrs

Delivery of documents :
from 17.00 to 18.00 hrs

Consultation by telephone from 17.00 to 18.00 hrs
Phone: (499) 230-13-01
Telephone on visa issues : (499) 230-00-54 .
Fax: (499) 230-04-79
E . Address : [email protected]

The actual location to apply for the visa is around the corner from the main sign (Russian only) and entrance, below the intersection of 1-y Kazachiy & 2-y Kazachiy, on the southeast side of the main building. You'll probably see a lot of people standing around. You enter through a hallway and you'll see a security guard and a booth. At the window, the person (who spoke almost no English) will take your passport to log down your visit, and tell you what number window to go for (#1 seemed to be the only one for foreigners applying for visas). They also make you check any computers or tablets at the window; the guy gave me a little paper with a number on it to reclaim my computer on the way out.

At window #1 I only waited for a few minutes. The man spoke enough English to answer my questions, luckily. Here are the questions and answered I got:

a) do I need a LOI? No
b) do I need to provide proof of a flight out of Uzbekistan? No
c) do you keep my passport while visa is processing? No, they just need a photocopy. He added that processing time was 7 days, then I would come back with my passport for them to add it.
d) price? US$160 regardless of length of stay or number of entries. Maximum for a tourist visa is one month, multiple entry. I didn't ask about business visa, since 1 month is what I wanted anyway.

Process:
1) fill out visa application online
2) bring in TWO copies of application along with TWO passport photos
3) pay money. They only accepted USD.

Updated later:

I finally got my plans sorted out and went back to put in the application. I still wasn't sure if they closed at 12 or 13:00, so I got there around 11:30. Again, it's around the corner from the main building, with a bunch of people standing around outside. I went through and said I needed to get a visa, and even though the worker and the guard spoke no English, I think they remembered me from last time. So the guy took my computer and gave me a slip with a number on it, and logged my passport details.

I went back to Window 1 and waited a little bit in a messy line before making it to the window. The same English-speaking guy I'd dealt with before checked out my application, took both copies after I signed them, 2 passport pictures and a colour copy of my passport which I'd brought with me. He didn't ask for anything else.

A travel agent had explained that I could apply for a longer visa than one calendar month if I needed a multiple entry visa. I wasn't sure it would fly, but I put it together like this anyway: 17/6 - 30/7, with each entry being 30 days. On the application you can't select different length stays, e.g. 7 days the first time and 23 the next like I actually needed, so I just put 30 days in for each entry and kept my fingers crossed. When I asked the guy at window 1, he seemed to think it was fine. Since I wrote this, I've entered, exited and reentered Uzbekistan with no issues.

I'd also had some problems with the visa application website, which I actually got around by taking out any odd characters (@, !, $, etc). Commas and periods (, .) were fine. On the English version it didn't alert you of any error, but wouldn't let you download the finished form. I switched to the Russian version, which gave an error message and helped me figure out the problem. I'm not sure if it's still doing that, but if it is, try taking out those symbols.

You also use the same website to track your application. On the bottom of the form there's a number, which you use along with your passport number to check the status. At first it just says your application is "under consideration". Once it's ready for pickup, it shows two different dates and a Telex number, though it doesn't specifically say "ready for pickup." So I just went back to the Consulate to either pick up, or be sadly turned away.

I got there around 10:15 in the morning, right after it opened. The guard was calling out names to the crowd and handing out paperwork, but wouldn't let me in. Of course I don't speak nearly enough Russian, so finally I wrote something like "I have a question about my visa. The guy at Window 1 speaks English," and the guard begrudgingly let me through. The guy at the first window took my computer from me and practised some English with me, and I sailed through.

At Window 1, the guy took my passport and came back with the two applications and photos. He told me to pay at a window across the room, and I paid there. Note: they only accepted USD cash, though I'm not sure if that's for everyone or just me because I'm a US citizen. I had managed to bring exact change, though I'd brought roughly the same in roubles just in case.

I came back with the papers and receipt, and about 10 minutes later I had my passport and shiny new visa. I thanked him happily in English, Russian and Uzbek and amused most of the other people around, and practically danced out of the consulate in joy, like a happy rainbow unicorn frolicking in fields of candy and dreams come true. Or, you know, just a traveler who was very relieved to have a visa that they were hanging around Moscow waiting for.
0 x
"A man must live in such a way that he is always prepared to die."
-Confucious

http://muteki.co

Jpinilla

Report: The Uzbek Embassy in Moscow

Post by Jpinilla »

The application process for two Americans was relatively painless in Moscow. As Russians do not need visas within the CIS, there were very few people at the window for foreigners and the lines were short. It took around a week to get everything done. No one showed much interest in any of our extra paperwork. The only problem was the guard at the front door who tried to tell us that the visa section wasn't open until 12. If you apply in Moscow, be sure to be firm and relentless. They will eventually yield.

Note: There is a little van parked next to the embassy where you can get passport photos and copies. It's actually cheaper than other places around.
0 x

edgarbilliet

Re: Report: The Uzbek Embassy in Moscow

Post by edgarbilliet »

This website has been a big help in planning a future trip, so happy to share the experience from Moscow today.

I applied for an Uzbek visa for me and a friend of mine (he did not have to be there in person, a copy of his passport suffices) with Belgian passports.

The entrance is at the east side of the building, in 2nd Kazachiy Pereulok (2-й Казачий переулок), close to the junction with 1st Kazachiy Pereulok (1-й Казачий переулок). Entering the building was relatively easy. A bunch of guys sit, stand and wait at the entrance for whatever reason. I just jumped (what looked like) the queue. Nobody bothered. They write down your name from your passport in a scratchbook and then make you go through security. A rather rude guy frisks you and tells you to switch off your phone. No phone use whatsoever is allowed in the building. You then enter the desk room through a rather sketchy courtyard and some tents (yes, tents). Visa service is supposed to work from 10h to 12h (I arrived at 9h50), but quite a lot of people were already waiting at the visa desk (desk 1, окно 1).

I was quite desperate in the beginning, since the turns of the first people took about 10 minutes each and at least 15 people were in front of me. It is hard to tell how many people actually are waiting in front of you. It is not organised at all. People (mostly Chinese and Tadzhik as far as I could tell today) ask eachother who's in front of who. The person 'in front of you' in the queue might actually be waiting for his turn on a bench a couple of meters behind you. Luckily the servant sped up and all in all I had to wait little over one hour.

You bring:
- 2 passport photo's
- 2 copies of the completed e-visa document (Although I would not know why you would have to bring a second one. The guy took one, the other one I have still with me. It has no stamps or signatures on it)
- a (coloured) copy of your passport

The guy's English is sufficient. The process itself was smooth, actually smoother than I would have liked. I bet he did not even look at my citizenship or the dates I applied for. If I would have made a mistake, I will probably find out too late... I asked if it is possible to receive and pay for the visa in Almaty in January. No problem, he said. (I currently study in Siberia and would like to travel Central Asia in January, without having to wait for visa or pay too much for LOI's. I had to be in Moscow anyway this week. That's why Moscow in November-Almaty in January.) You can also check the status of the application online (same link as the e-visa http://evisa.mfa.uz/evisa_en/). It will take three working days, he said (website says two).
1 x