Self-driving in Azerbaijan by car or motorbike Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
roro

Re: Azerbadjian with my car

Post by roro »

Hi,

About this little old topic, I see no reply about my question: My car is a 2006 one!
And I need expériences from crossing Iran/AZ and AZ/Russia with personal car,

Thanks in advance.

RR.
0 x

sunshinegemma

Entering Azerbaijan with a vehicle

Post by sunshinegemma »

Good evening, I am totally new to all this and am not afraid to admit that my husband had to show me how to post :?
We are a family of four, two adults and two children, my name is Gemma. We are travelling the world in our VW campervan and are currently in Georgia. We would like to go to Azerbaijan but I can’t find a definitive answer to wether or not we need an e-visa or a transit visa, is it’s a transit visa then do we have to go to an embassy? Our van is 30 years old and we don’t want to have to pay a large sum of money as a deposit. Is there a way around this?
I would really appreciate it if someone who has been recently could comment.

Thank you in advance

Gemma
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Entering Azerbaijan with a vehicle

Post by steven »

Hi Gemma,

newcomers are very welcome! Do keep in mind that there is already a topic on this very question. Posting there saves me the hassle of merging the 2 topics together later on.

Here is the full explanation from the site. Last report was October 2017.

Insurance, border payments and police checks
2 reports in 2017 confirm the old customs regimes have been cancelled. There are now no longer any hefty deposits to be paid. Total payment at the border amounts to 20$ import tax and 20$ mandatory insurance.

We are looking for further confirmation in the Azerbaijan with your car forum topic.

There is however, still a vehicle age limit (not sure what the limit is) that will let drivers of old cars in for no more than 3 days. However, border guards advise to simply overstay the visa and pay a 20 manat fine, which seems to be working.

https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/azerbaijan
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

thepflaum

Azerbaijan border crossing from Georgia with a car (in detail)

Post by thepflaum »

Just reporting that my brother and I crossed into azerbaijan from Georgia (north east side - lagodekhi) with our 1998 Pajero no problems.

We bought the car in rustavi, it's registered in my name and there were no issues.

The process:
First border stop on Georgian side;
The driver stays in the car - have your passport, car documents, drivers license
You should know where your Vin number is so you can point it out to the officers.
Super easy, no stress, took no more than 10 min, be friendly.

Drive through to the azerbaijan side:
You'll drive into a car lane and park there.
Have all of your documents ready to go, they were at the car within a few seconds asking for everything (they weren't intimidating or pushy, just efficient).
You need a print out of your Visa here.
They will check you car, open the boot and all the doors.
After a quick search they will ask you to unload everything and send it through the X-ray machines.
They will take all of your documents to be processed
My brother and I have a bunch of photography equipment and a drone but we didn't have any issues with it. Same with our camping gear and a few knives.
Load your car back up and go to the windows. The person who the car is registered under will go to a separate window first (window 3) and they will check things again and then send you to another window.
At some point they will bring a dog around to sniff your car as well
They check your documents again, take your photo then the driver goes back to window 3. More checks and they let you know what your last day is (according to your Visa) and they ask you to sign.
Almost done.
Then you around to another window at the side. Surprise, more checks. They let you know the compulsory insurance price. It was $20 USD for us (pretty sure that is the standard rate for passenger cars) I paid with a $50 and they gave me back change in Manat.
At this point you are done.
When they give you back all of your documents there will also be a little stub that you would have seen passed around behind the windows, keep this on hand.
Get into your car and drive down to the big gates.
Guess what, another check.
All your documents (minus car registration and drivers license)
You need to give the little stub over as well.
They scan it, open gates and you are free to drive on.

Overall a really easy process, could seem a little intimidating when they swarm your car on the azeri side but all the officers were friendly.

Hope this post is helpful for some of you planning to cross at that border.

Travel well
3 x

vittorimbotti

Post by vittorimbotti »

Hi all,
I'm currently in Aktau getting the ferry to Baku.
Our car is a 2004 RHD (Australian regsitered).
I have my e-VISA ready, but i read a lot of different reports, does anybody have clarification on driving old (14 years) and RHD vehicles in Azerbaijan?

Many thanks in advance and safe travels!
V
0 x

Van_Gogh

Post by Van_Gogh »

Hey everyone,

crossed from Georgia to Azerbaijan yesterday at the "Red Bridge" Bordercrossing (Tsiteli/Sixli) with Evisa.

My car is a 1989 (thus 29 years old) Audi 80, Euro 2. I did not have any problems entering the country, the whole process took about 20 minutes.

Just give them your passport and car documents, they will do everything for you. If you don't have insurance, you can buy one at the border.
Price for 14 days is 15 AZN, you can pay in AZN/EUR/USD. Unfortunately, I do not have information about the prices for other days.

They also take "road tax", which is 15$ for 30 days, you will get a receipt for both.

So all in all, it seems not to be a problem to cross the border with an old car, at least at the Tsiteli/Sixli border.
1 x

vittorimbotti

Post by vittorimbotti »

This is reassuring, seems that a lot of people can enter with old vehicles! :)
Anyone has any updates re: RHD cars? (ours is australian)
Thanks!
0 x

Tot hier en verder

Post by Tot hier en verder »

I also entered with a 14 year old car at the Astara border crossing, from Iran. No problem.
A friend entered with a RHD car, so it should be possible.
1 x
Tot hier en verder - Tegendraads en grensverleggend

roro

Post by roro »

That's all good news!
RR.
0 x

Van_Gogh

Post by Van_Gogh »

I think RHD cars are no problem, one guy behind me was from UK and entered as well. And, in addition, all those Georgians with their Japan-imported cars can drive there as well, and some Azerbaijanians even own RHD vehicles for daily use :)
0 x