How to apply for russian visa in Kazakhstan as...?

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Nemo73

How to apply for russian visa in Kazakhstan as...?

Postby Nemo73 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi everybody,
I've been studying presently one harsh section of my bicycle tour through the Silk Road from Western Europe to Japan. My problem is to join west Mongolia from Kyrgyzstan. I think it's not possible to cross Turkestan as chinese visa won't be gettable for a french guy I am, while being in the area. (Some says it's a good idea to send one's passeport back home by DHL, but others say it won't help ! So...). In that case, my last option is to reach Mongolia by crossing Kazakhstan to Shemonaikha and then go east through Russia towards Ulaanbaishint check point.
So I need to get the russian visa. It's been said on Caravanistan that russian visa is gettable in Almaty BUT takes 30 days to be issued ! The problem is that the kazakh visa only lasts 30 days ! So apparently, I won't have enough time to get it (russian one)...except if I go out of the country and receive 30 more visa days.

Well, my question finally is to know if it is possible to step one foot into China on the other side of kazakh border (Khorgos-Khorgas/ Dostyk - Alanshankou/ Bakhty-Tasheng/ Maikapchagai-Jeminay) WITHOUT chinese visa, that in order to go back immediately on Kazakhstan territory and get 30 more days (with final intention to have enough time to fetch russian visa in Almaty and then cycle north to Shemonaikha) ? I guess that is not possible and would better give a go-in and out into Kyrgyzstan (as it is visa free for europeans).

Last possibility is to apply for russian tourist visa in Tbilissi as it said that the year-long-visa-free regime is not in effect there.

I don't know what's more easy and foreseeable ?!

Thanks for your advice !
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: How to apply for russian visa in Kazakhstan as...?

Postby bwv812 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm

They won't let you into China without a visa. You might be able to sit in no-man's land and then turn around, but I'm not sure Kazakhstan will give you a new visa if you haven't technically entered another country since you left. At any rate, it's a lot easier to just go do a visa run via Kyrgyzstan.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Nemo73

Postby Nemo73 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot bwv812 ! Your answer seems most sensible.

As I never had to deal with visa appliance abroad still, I'd like to ask an innocent question. How to know that my russian transit visa in Almaty will be available at the consulate ? I guess no email ?!!! One's has simply to come and get for it after the duration announced when visa appliance ?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com