GBAO situation - 2014 [locked]

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: GBAO current situation

Post by steven »

He applied in Dushanbe
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

povertyjetset

Post by povertyjetset »

Povertyjetset, where did you apply for your GBAO permit ?
I really hope that GBAO is the same lenght than the visa, because riding 800 km in 7days, is just impossible
If you need to get the GBAO permit in BIshkek because you are going straight to the Pamirs then you could try to contact Osh Guesthouse as some people had luck there. I don't know exactly how it works but you pick up the permit at the border or Murghab. Costs $30 or $40 for the service. But that was late July and I also heard more recently that the guesthouse is not doing it anymore.

But as Steven already said, I got my permit in Dushanbe and it was very easy with next day pickup.
0 x

Wickychicky

Post by Wickychicky »

Seems prices have doubled at Osh Guesthouse. If it's the same place I spoke to by email, it's $90 and they would get 10 days GBAO.
If you need more than 6 or 7 days, which they are handing out at the moment in Bishkek, definitely go to Dushanbe first and get your permit there.
We just preferred to do the high passes mid September rather than the end of September for the snow risk, but we're in a car, not on a bicycle.
0 x

povertyjetset

Post by povertyjetset »

Wickychicky wrote:Seems prices have doubled at Osh Guesthouse. If it's the same place I spoke to by email, it's $90 and they would get 10 days GBAO.
If you need more than 6 or 7 days, which they are handing out at the moment in Bishkek, definitely go to Dushanbe first and get your permit there.
We just preferred to do the high passes mid September rather than the end of September for the snow risk, but we're in a car, not on a bicycle.
$90 for 10 days? Nothing like taking advantage of fickle gov't regulations. Glad I paid the $160 for an Uzbek visa and went to Dushanbe for the permit.
0 x

Roman

Post by Roman »

Just a note on Osh Guesthouse.

Avoid that place if possible. In the worst case, sleep over but don't give them a som for additional services like visa, transport and trips. They sell extremely overpriced things and lie to foreigners (e.g. they arranged 2 separate jeeps for 2 couples for the very same route just to get business to their driving friends). They also steal stuff (we've lost a knife and earphones) and have retarded muslim rules (fines for pork and alcohol).
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

"Retarded muslim rules"? You seem like a real charmer.

I'm not sure how you know it was the guesthouse guys who stole your stuff, as opposed to other guests, but I've found them to be really friendly and helpful when I've stayed there.

Unless they no longer have the travel board, it should be easy for guests to connect with each other and find partners to share travel costs, though you'll basically have to book the travel through the guesthouse since you have to go through them to get the contact info of people posting messages on their board. And while you can get things cheaper than what they offer if you're willing to do it yourself (as is true at all travel agencies), I don't think their prices are out of line with other agencies.

My approach to them is the opposite of yours: stay somewhere quieter/cheaper, but visit them for information.
0 x

trevor warman

Post by trevor warman »

This is an old post, but.... as of April 13, 2015 permit issued in Bishkek..

I got a double entry, 45 day visa, same day, 75$ (no extra for double entry) plus the 100Som for the permit......
0 x

trevor warman

Post by trevor warman »

Permit is valid for duration of visa.... date specific....
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thank you, Trevor!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Bill

Post by Bill »

Hello,

Do you happen to have any updates about the security issue in GBAO?
We would like to do some trekking in July and so far the replies by some consulates (France, Belgium) are rather discouraging or, at best, not enlightening.
In addition, the FCO hasn't changed its travel advice yet.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tajikistan

Kind regards

Bill
0 x