4x4 necessary?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
KaYe

Re: 4x4 necessary?

Postby KaYe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:20 am

Great thanks to all of you for your very valuable comments. We don't have an exact route yet, more in pre planning stages. Campervan comes first 😉
0 x

sekimdr

Postby sekimdr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:57 am

Many Koreans are travelling Tan countries with their 2WD bus or even sedan car with gasolin engine..
It would be helpful to have 4WD, but it is not must.

I travelled for 347 days including Iran, Trukmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazahstan with my AWD SUV. But, 4WD mode was seldom used during my travel.
0 x

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 am

As said, not necessary for the main roads, even some mountain passes. But high ground clearance would be good. A van like a transporter is usually not that high. The italian and french vans, like Fiat Ducato and similar, from the nineties usually have a bit more ground clearance.
Even some of the European style camper vans (as the ones in the link) have quite good ground clearance (although a long overhang)
Then you have the old Mercedes vans who sometimes come with a diff lock even though not 4x4, that is usually a real help.

If anybody really wants to keep all options open you could search for Toyota Hiace or Mitsubishi L300 / Delica 4wd vans.
We have an older Hiace from early nineties, and it has parttime 4x4 with low-gearing so that's quite capable. We can go where a standard 4x4 jeep can go, but they usually have more powerful engines.

Anyway, don't be afraid, with a simple van you will get to most places while keeping things cheap.
1 x

Return to “Cars and motorbikes”