Crossing Irkeshtam pass. Kashgar to Osh. End of May.

Find Torugart crossing partners to Naryn. Karakorum Highway to Pakistan. Share guided tours. Etc.
Pikey

Crossing Irkeshtam pass. Kashgar to Osh. End of May.

Postby Pikey » Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi there.

We’re a travelling couple, planning to cross out of China to Kyrgyzstan via the Irkestam pass later this month. Looking for other travellers to share transport across. Our Chinese visas expire June 3rd so has to be before then. We’ll be in Kashgar by around 20 May.
0 x

james

Re: Crossing Irkeshtam pass. Kashgar to Osh. End of May.

Postby james » Fri May 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi,

I am travelling solo and plan on going from Kashgar to Osh or Sary Tash around May 29th. Do you plan on taking a shared taxi?
0 x

Pikey

Re: Crossing Irkeshtam pass. Kashgar to Osh. End of May. I

Postby Pikey » Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 am

Hi there.

Yes we’re planning on the shared taxi route via Ulugqat. There is a good description of it on this guys blog here. Fairly recent.

https://againstthecompass.com/en/china- ... htam-pass/

We think we’ll be staying at the Kashgar old city youth hostel and crossing around 30th. We’ll be in Kashgar about a week before because we’re hoping to do a trip out to Karakul lake. You’re welcome to join us for the crossing . Sary Tash or Osh is good for us.
0 x

Pikey

Postby Pikey » Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 am

Hi James.
Regarding the crossing from Kashgar to Kyrgyzstan... I just read this more recent blog post from a guy who crossed in February.

https://www.bunchofbackpackers.com/how- ... ar-to-osh/

Sounds like he got a minibus from old town youth hostel to the border which sounds convenient. 50Y. A seat in the shared taxi from the bus station is 33Y.
We’ll be staying at the Old Town hostel from 23rd but aren’t planning to cross until 31st.
Maybe see you there... I’m Lee from UK and my Partner is Mandy, a Kiwi.
0 x

edblax

Postby edblax » Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 am

Just a quick update. We did this trip a couple of days ago, and there were 7 travellers making the trip that day. Four of us left from Kashgar Old Town hostel, and we also saw another group of three go from there the day before, so that might be a good place to try to find travel partners. We paid 200 yuan for a taxi (actually a minivan with 6-7 seats) from the hostel to the border, arranged by the hostel.

Our phones were taken from us at the first police checkpoint in Ulugqat and again at Chinese immigration. At the police checkpoint they downloaded all our files and installed a few apps, took down our IMEI and SIM details, and at immigration they demanded our lockscreen passwords and took our phones out of sight for about an hour, so who knows what they did.

We paid 150 yuan per seat for two shared taxis from the border to Osh, after some lengthy and occasionally tense negotiation.

The last Chinese post was closed when we arrived and opened at 4.30pm, as others have described. I doubt it would be worth trying to get there before it closes for lunch, given how long each checkpoint takes.

Last thought: take some food! We left at 8.30am and the first opportunity we had to get any food was when we got to the final (closed) Chinese checkpoint at around 3pm.
1 x

Pikey

Postby Pikey » Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks Ed for that incredibly informative description of your recent crossing.

I take it 200Y was per person in the organised taxi to the physical border. That makes it a bit pricier than going to Ulugqat and taking a shared taxi but obviously a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the information regarding the phone situation. We’ll plan accordingly.

Looks like they do sting you for the shared taxi to Osh from the border because you’re a captive market. Not much we can do about that. I wonder if it’s better to just go to Sary Tash instead.

So you are now in Osh? Any idea on the kind of prices they are charging for a Pamir highway 4X4 trip this year? We’re thinking of doing one.

Once again thanks for the info and hope to see you on the road somewhere over there!
0 x

edblax

Postby edblax » Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 am

To clarify, we paid:
200 yuan total (50 each between 4) for the van from kashgar to uluqgat
400 yuan total (100 each between 4) for the shared taxi between immigration checkpoints
100 yuan total (~15 each between 7) for an absurdly expensive minivan from the actual border (maybe) to Kyrgyz immigration
1200 yuan total (~170 each between 7) for two taxis from Kyrgyz immigration to Osh.
1 x

Pikey

Postby Pikey » Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks again for clarifying. It’s invaluable to have recent information like this.
:D :D
0 x