Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
captbeardsomme

Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

Post by captbeardsomme »

Hi

I will be driving through Uzbekistan this summer, and during our trip I would love to shoot some footage with my drone.

I understand and respect that drones are illegal in Uzbekistan, and don't intend to use it there. but on the other hand, I do want it with me for the rest of the trip.

So... what If I make a nice hidden compartment in my car and leave it there during the whole Uzbek experience?
How thorough are they checking the car when entering the country?
What would be the consequences if they find it?

Optionally, is there a reliable way of shipping something as a drone from Turkmenistan to Tajikistan in about 3-4 days?
0 x

seysearles

Re: Hiding a drone in the car while passing Uzbekistan

Post by seysearles »

captbeardsomme wrote:Hi

I will be driving through Uzbekistan this summer, and during our trip I would love to shoot some footage with my drone.

I understand and respect that drones are illegal in Uzbekistan, and don't intend to use it there. but on the other hand, I do want it with me for the rest of the trip.

So... what If I make a nice hidden compartment in my car and leave it there during the whole Uzbek experience?
How thorough are they checking the car when entering the country?
What would be the consequences if they find it?

Optionally, is there a reliable way of shipping something as a drone from Turkmenistan to Tajikistan in about 3-4 days?
We took ours all through Central Asia including Uzbekistan. Never got checked or in any trouble. Although that didn't stop me from dumping it into the ground on the Pamir Highway.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qoYMj-xH68[/bbvideo]
Last edited by seysearles on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

[bbvideo=853,480]https://youtu.be/DcNMJtcZ1QI[/bbvideo]
1 x

captbeardsomme

Post by captbeardsomme »

Thanks all :-)

I will probably just go with the flow then, beeing a stupid foreigner and all ;-)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Although drones, I think, are still widely used to photograph weddings, and seysearles above had no issue bringing one in, it should be noted, unauthorised use of drones is illegal in Tajikistan.

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/206453
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

lolipop

Re: Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

Post by lolipop »

Hello everyone...

I will be driving through central Asia, and during my trip I would to shoot some footage with drone. So I have a question....had someone trouble with transferring the drones between central Asia countries?

Thaks for answer.
0 x

silkroadski

Post by silkroadski »

Yes.

In short at the Turkmen-Uzbek crossing at Farap they forced us to destroy our drone (they'd not even let the drone into the country once destroyed to help with insurance). We tried for several hours to come up with a solution - posting, sealing in a box and police courier to the border, travellers passing into Turkmenistan (probably the best option but there were none going that way), telling them we took it through all of the others and didn't fly it once, etc. etc.

There was absolutely no compromise. It doesn't matter what suggestion you come up with, what you've read, what the law (or as we perceived it) says. It is 100% illegal to take any kind of drone into the country.

Hide it very well in your old underwear stashed somewhere in the car that will be a pain in the backside for them to check and play ignorance if found.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

silkroadski wrote:Yes.

In short at the Turkmen-Uzbek crossing at Farap they forced us to destroy our drone
I assume this was the Turkmens. Or was it the Uzbeks?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

silkroadski

Post by silkroadski »

The Uzbeks. Though I’ve since heard they’ve relaxed the rule. I suspect it was just the grumpy boss on the day - the other officers would’ve eventually given in.
1 x

AdamL

Post by AdamL »

I will enter UZB hopefully tomorrow from Beyneu KAZ. For last few days make no loundry to have nice hidden place for DJI Mavic. Cross you fingers people, if they force me to crash it I will cry like a baby ;)
1 x