Germany to Bishkek in Spring 2018

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Van_Gogh

Germany to Bishkek in Spring 2018

Post by Van_Gogh »

Hey everyone,

first of all, I really enjoy the whole Caravanistan website with the comprehensive information about travelling Central Asia,, it makes everything a lot easier.

I am currently planning to travel from Germany to Central Asia by car on my own; starting in Germany in March 2018 and arriving in late May/early June 2018. My itinerary looks like this:

Germany - Eastern europe - Turkey (along the black sea coast) - Georgia (Batumi, Kutaisi, Tiflis) - Azerbaijan (Baku, Lankaran) - Iran (Bandar Azali, Chalus, Tehran, Semnan, Sharoud, Sabzevar, Quchan, Bajgaran) - Turkmenistan on transit visa (Ashgabat, Mary, Turkmenabat) - Uzbekistan (Bukhara, Qarshi, Samarkand, Tashkent - Tajikistan (Chudshand) - back to Uzbekistan - Kazakhstan (Shymkent) - Kyrgyzstan (Taraz, Taldy Bulak, Bishkek) - Kazakhstan (Almaty) - maybe back to Bishkek - flying back to Germany (ALA/FRU)

I try to sell my car ('89 Audi 80) in Bishkek or Almaty upon arrival, either to other travellers or locals. I am aware of the high import taxes, but I hope to figure out a way.

Already got the Uzbek visa, will be applying for Iran, Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan as soon as possible.

I would really like to hear your thoughts, comments or tips on my plan.

Best wishes!
0 x

robert

Re: Germany to Bishkek in Spring 2018

Post by robert »

Selling the car will be difficult, we failed in finding a way selling a 1994 car. You might be luckier trying to sell your car in Tajikistan. But definitely think of a plan what you will do if you can't sell the car anywhere in the region.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks for the compliment, Van Gogh!

One comment about your itinerary: are you just going to Tajikistan to visit Khujand? I would skip that if I were you - a lot of hassle and extra expense for the double-entry visa. Also, the road from Osh to Bishkek is a much more scenic way to get your final destination than via the steppe of Kazakhstan.

Tajikistan has more options indeed for getting rid of your car, including donating and dumping the car.

http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/tajikistan/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Van_Gogh

Post by Van_Gogh »

Thank you for your replies! I am currently working on a better itinerary and try to sell the car in Tajikistan as you suggested. Maybe Tashkent — Almaty — Bishkek — Osh — Dushanbe (via Batken/Khujand) is the better option?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I would say that is the better option. But why not take the Pamir Highway from Osh to Dushanbe? Most travelers rate it as a highlight, and if you have your own car, you can really enjoy it at your own pace.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Margarita

Post by Margarita »

Van Gogh: how was your overland trip from Kyrgyzstan to Dushanbe? My sisters and I will travel that portion of your route this fall and are considering the Batken - Khujand versus the Osh - Pamir Highway routes. Thanks!
0 x