GBAO permit at Dushanbe OVIR

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Khanabadosh

GBAO permit at Dushanbe OVIR

Post by Khanabadosh »

I'm posting this information as it seems different from what is written on the main tajikistan-GBAO permit page:
Last week I got my permit in Dushanbe. It was as easy as can be, and only cost 20 somon. There was no attempt to extract anything more from me. Enter the building in the door at the far right. Give your passport to the man in the booth and he will type it up. Then take the paper he gives you and your passport and walk to the window at the end of the room. They'll return one slip of paper to you and tell you to go and pay 20 somon at Amanat bank, which is about 5 minutes way (exit building, walk left and go through the park to the other side.) Then return to the office to show you've paid and come back the following morning to pick up your permit.

For the budget conscious couple, following this procedure, rather than checking the box on the e-visa page, will make your total cost $5 instead of $40.
5 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: GBAO permit

Post by Julia »

Could you please share the address of the office in Dushanbe you went to get the permission please?
1 x

Khanabadosh

Post by Khanabadosh »

Sure, Julia. I got it at the OVIR office (marked on Google maps as "Паспортно-регистрационная служба (ОВИР)." The address is Mirzo Tursunzoda Street 5. Its a very easy walk from the Opera and Ballet. When you are standing in front of it, again, you want the white door on the far right. It seems to stick, though, so if you can't open it just knock politely until someone opens it.
2 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Thank you.
And just to clarify, you're not a local, right? ))
I mean it's first time I hear someone got a permit so easily.
Maybe it's different for locals and foreigners?

Thanks again
0 x

Khanabadosh

Post by Khanabadosh »

Julia wrote:Thank you.
And just to clarify, you're not a local, right? ))
I mean it's first time I hear someone got a permit so easily.
Maybe it's different for locals and foreigners?

Thanks again
Nope! Not a local at all. An American on a tourist visa. I do speak reasonably functional Tajiki (after having done a language program here a decade ago), but I my sense was that knowing Tajiki just made for easier communications, not special treatment. It was all very fast and disinterested.

EVERYONE that learns I'm a tourist excitedly reminds me that 2018 is Tajikistan's "Year of Tourism" (there are signs excitedly proclaiming it in Tajiki everywhere) so maybe they've smoothed the process as a part of this initiative? At any rate, it was very cheap, and very easy!
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Thank you for all useful tips.
I guess I'll learn some basic Tajiki.
0 x

minavagante

Re: GBAO permit at Dushanbe OVIR

Post by minavagante »

Hi Khanabadosh,
i need some additional infomation!!
The next morning you can pick up the permit at what time?
It's possible to take it and start the journey to the pamir?
Thank you so much.
0 x

bhorn

Post by bhorn »

Went down to the OVIR today at about 10:30 and got my permit by 11:55. British national, entered with an evisa.

Walked there and went to the door to the right as mentioned and gave the guy at the desk my passport and evisa. After he finished typing everything up I was pointed to the back window. Everyone sitting down is waiting to collect, so just go straight there. (I wasted half an hour thinking there was a call up system)

There is a guy in the back office who speaks English who told me to go the bank mentioned. I wasn't given a slip. Showed the bank the documents given to me by the guy in the booth and gave them 20TJS. Was given a receipt to take back.

Went back to the OVIR and showed them the documents and receipt. Was told to wait 5 to 10 minutes and after 5 I had my permit. Just in time for lunch!

Permit covers everywhere as far as I can tell (all the capitials/districts listed on Wikipedia are there) and valid till the end of my visa.
4 x

dreiarmumig

Post by dreiarmumig »

Very similar to bhorn's report: about an hour in total, 20 Somoni each (1 British, 1 German national).
Went to the office in the afternoon, nobody at the first window so went straight to the back window. Guy told us to go to the bank and pay 20 Somoni, didn't give us anything to take to the bank. At the bank you go right after you enter and go up done steps, and right again into a small room with four counters, we needed the one opposite the door (#4 IIRC). Another customer spoke very good English and explained to the bank employee what we needed, we handed over our passports and 20 Somoni each, a couple minutes later were given the receipts and our passports back. Took these back to the OVIR and gave them to the guy at the back window, nothing happened for a little while so asked how long it would be and were told 30 minutes but 10 minutes later received our permits.
2 x

hh2sg

Post by hh2sg »

We just got our permits yesterday, still easy! Same procedure as the last two posts :)
2 x