Embassy report: Afghan visa in Tehran, Iran

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Embassy report: Afghan visa in Tehran, Iran

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Afghan embassy in Tehran below.

We summarize all info on the Afghan visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

katrinsiff

Embassy report: Afghan visa in Tehran, Iran

Post by katrinsiff »

Just an update on getting an Afghani tourist visa in the embassy in Tehran: The embassy is open approx 8 am - 3 pm (but slightly earlier some days) from Saturday to Wednesday (Thursday and Friday are the weekend). The embassy is located close to metro station Shahid Beheshti, and across the street is a cafe that fills out the farsi-only language application (for a fee of 100.00 rials, approx $3USD), and gets it done in just a few minutes. Bring a passport photo (they just take a picture of it and you get to keep it). Then go to the embassy and apply for the visa with the photo and printed form (which they keep), they will interview you (I was asked my travel plans, contacts in Afghanistan, and if Id ever traveled to arabic countries). After they approve, they give you a receipt for the visa fee (Icelandic passport was $80USD) and you must go to a specific branch of Bank Melli (Its on Mirzae Shirazi Street, walking south from Motahari street one block away on the left side), to the second floor, and pay it. They did not accept a $10 bill printed 1988 (i guess its too old to verify its not fake?) or a $20 bill that had some pen written on it. After bring your receipt back to the embassy, they ask you to go take a blood test. This is done at Mehrad General Hospital (findable on google maps) a few blocks away on Mir Emad street (cross street 6th alley). Go inside the hospital, up to the 3rd floot, pay 1.200.000 rials (approx $37USD) and they will test you for HIV, HBS Ag, and HCV. The results are printed and returned to you in an hour, take them back to the embassy, and then youve finally finished applying.
From that point, the ambassador told me it should take 10 days, but 4-5 is a favour, and I got mine back in 4 without paying any extra. You can pay for a rush service too if you like. Be aware they keep your passport for the entire time, and you cant exchange money (or buy a SIM card) in Tehran without a passport, so make sure you have enough money while waiting!
2 x

JnKln

Re: Afghani Tourist visa at Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran, Iran

Post by JnKln »

Update for German passport 29-10-2016:

Next to what is mentioned in the previous post (application form, 1 picture, passport, interview, blood test) the Afghan embassy asked for a letter of support from the German embassy. This letter is (of course) not offered by my embassy so I will not get any Afghan visa in Tehran.
[I'll try from Islamabad, seems like the process was easier, at least 2 years ago]

Jan
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Afghani Tourist visa at Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran, Iran

Post by steven »

Hi Jan,

Is this a letter of no objections? Because Germans give it for trips to China. http://caravanistan.com/visa/letter-of- ... s-in-iran/

Please let us know what happens in Islamabad if you happen to go there, no info available for years already!
0 x

tatterdemalion

Post by tatterdemalion »

No transit visa available.
Not stated anywhere but applications have to be made before 1pm (I'd guess at least thirty minutes before), as the bank where payments are made closes at that time.
Embassy is open Sat-Wed 8-4, although desk was unmanned 12:40-15:00, due to workload first time I visited. I was told to leave the building at 1 for their lunch and return at 2, but later on when the visa official, Behzad, turned up he told me that lunch doesn't apply to the visa section.
I was told to come back the next morning at 10am which is apparently the best time and given the option of paying US$130 for same day or $80 for week long return. Luckily though for Australians (and judging from their heartfelt appreciative spiel, any other nation providing assistance to the Afghan government) the US$80 option will get you next day return. I provided a LOI that I received from a friendly host on couchsurfing and it did not seem necessary but may have helped.

To save time, do as follows:
Before entering the embassy, go into the busy store across the street asking for a visa application. They'll take a photo of your passport, fill in the online farsi form and provide your with it for 100,000R (10,000T). Foreigners pay double it appears, but you do go straight to the front of the queue.
Stand waiting in the visa section so the officials can see you. Short interview and chat (10 minutes).
Take payment slip from the embassy to 2nd floor of Melli bank (Mirzaye Shirzai St about 1.5kms away). GPS: 35.722541 51.416212
At 11am, there was a man that can take your payment slip and $80 to pay at the bank for you and bring the slip back for the fee of 100,000R. I walked there and back as well as printing off some extra passport copies and it took him the same amount of time. However, if you use his service you will save yourself an hour.
Pickup at embassy at 4pm.
No problems for me whatsoever.

If you're applying for the Afghan, Turkmen and Uzbek all in Tehran you can do it all in one day. Uzbek first, then get colour photocopy of the visa on Pasdaran st (GPS: 35.796883 51.475401), Turkmen second, then Afghan third.
2 x

JnKln

Post by JnKln »

Steven, sorry!

Yes, they required a letter of bo objections, indeed.

- Jan
1 x

waltereegho

Post by waltereegho »

A 6-month visa for Iran is now required to obtain a visa for Afghanistan. I only had the regular 30-day visa in my Schengen passport and was turned away. I was persistent, but no luck.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

October 2023 - From viewtopic.php?p=48488#p48488

I got my visa from the Afghanistan Embassy in Tehran and for my car I got my Roadpass permission from Mashhad Consulate in Iran. Because it is necessary to have Roadpass permission if you are going to drive into Afghanistan (Tourism visa $100 per person for single entry, because Afghanistan has no double entry unfortunately. And single entry Roadpass is $100 per car). For Roadpass permission I had double entry for $200.
0 x