Report: Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Report: Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the tourist visa at the embassy of Russia in Ulan Bator below.
Another forum topic collects reports on the Russian transit visa in UB.

We summarize all info on the Russia visa page.

See here if you are still in need of a letter of invitation for your Russian visa.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Zevla

Report: Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar

Post by Zevla »

August 2017: Tourist visa in Ulaanbaatar possible (even easy) for Czech passport holders; 5 days turnaround.
Contrarily to what the embassy website and even all the signs on the gate and other doors say, the embassy is open for applications 9-12AM (NOT 2-3PM anymore).
We needed:
- a tourist agency voucher (the expensive agency the embassy recommended us is NOT necessary, seems that any voucher from the internet will do - we bought one for 15 dollars at https://www.travelrussia.su/en/visa.tourist.php - you get the voucher immediately after payment);
- one photo (size specified at the embassy website);
- an application filled-in online and then printed;
- pay money at the TDB bank (64 Dollars per person).
That's it. No problems whatsoever, we picked the passport with visa 5 days later - 12-12.30 PM.
2 x

Loes

Post by Loes »

July 2018: We, two Dutch passport holders, got a 30 day tourist visa single entry. Documents needed:
  • valid passport
    1 photo
    filled-out application form
    letter of invitation
    written letter arguing why we need this visa, with planned itinerary
    copy driver's licence (Dutch and international)
    copy vehicle registration
We applied on Monday morning and we could pick up the visas 3 days later.

Visa costs $46, which you pay at TDB Bank (GPS: 47.920134, 106.910285).

Embassy is opened on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9-12. Pick-up between 12 and 12.30.

Note: We didn't have a Russian tourist visa before, which we've heard to be a reason others got double entry transit instead of tourist.
3 x

Jameshay1959

Post by Jameshay1959 »

We had a good experience getting out transit visa. Lodged Monday, returned Thursday. We paid for express service which was $70 for UK national.
We got a seven day transit for western Mongolia to Kazakhstan. We said we needed to repair our bikes in Barnaul and he was happy with that
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Thanks for the updates! Especially Loes because we will do exactly the same!
0 x

olmo

Embassy report: Russian visa in UB

Post by olmo »

Cycloptimistes wrote:Hi, we are (2 French cyclists) now in Kirghizistan, and we're just rejected from Osh Russian consulate : we need residential permit here. I guess it will be the same in Bishkek. I would like to know where I can find the official source of the country list exempt from this 90 days residential permit? I found this list in the Caravanistan Russian visa Web page but not in the foreign affairs ministry of Russia... Also we may go to Ulan Baator but I don't want to be rejected there even if it seems to be the best place for applying for a tourist visa. Thanks!
Mongolian embassy still has the list of countries, though France has disappeared from it. See if there's any recent reports on Caravanistan?

Old list: https://web.archive.org/web/20170403180 ... _visa.html
Current list: https://mongolia.mid.ru/en_GB/consular
1 x

vpendragon

Re: Embassy report: Russian visa in Bishkek

Post by vpendragon »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my french wife was refused tourist visa at russian embassy in ulaan baator in may 2018. We spoke with another group of french and dutch who were also rejected in march or april. Only canadians, czechs, and the other exempt countries can on the list below can get the tourist visa abroad.

Australia, Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burundi, Gabon, Guyana, Gambia, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Honduras, Georgia, Denmark, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Israel, Indonesia, Iceland, Italy, Yemen, Cape Verde, Cambodia, Canada, Qatar, Kenya, Colombia, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Kinshasa), Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mauritania, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Morocco, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nicaragua, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, Panama, Republic of Korea, Romania, Salvador, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Seychelles, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Sudan, Suriname, USA, Sierra Leone, Taiwan, Thailand, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uruguay, the Philippines, the Czech Republic, Chile, Ecuador, South Africa, Jamaica.

https://mongolia.mid.ru/en_GB/consular

You are probably either going to have to fly back home to get tourist visa, or somehow work with 10-day transit visas - which you can get everywhere. Not great for cycling i know :(
1 x

Aloasis

Re: Embassy report: Russian visa in Bishkek

Post by Aloasis »

Cycloptimistes wrote:Hi, we are (2 French cyclists) now in Kirghizistan, and we're just rejected from Osh Russian consulate : we need residential permit here. I guess it will be the same in Bishkek. I would like to know where I can find the official source of the country list exempt from this 90 days residential permit? I found this list in the Caravanistan Russian visa Web page but not in the foreign affairs ministry of Russia... Also we may go to Ulan Baator but I don't want to be rejected there even if it seems to be the best place for applying for a tourist visa. Thanks!
The embassy of Russian Federation in Ulaanbaatar only delivers tourist visa to French citizen residing in Mongolia. If you are a French tourist you will unfortunately be rejected.
1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Loes wrote:July 2018: We, two Dutch passport holders, got a 30 day tourist visa single entry. Documents needed:
  • valid passport
    1 photo
    letter of invitation

Embassy is opened on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9-12. Pick-up between 12 and 12.30.

Note: We didn't have a Russian tourist visa before, which we've heard to be a reason others got double entry transit instead of tourist.
We applied in exaclty this way and got our Tourist visa without problems, same cost and time.

So this is Dutch citizines and picked it up yesterday.
Also saw a lot of French people picking up visas.
0 x

john12

Post by john12 »

Loes wrote:July 2018: We, two Dutch passport holders, got a 30 day tourist visa single entry. Documents needed:
  • valid passport
    1 photo
    letter of invitation

Quick addition, "Embassy is opened on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9-12. Pick-up between 12 and 12.30." The embassy is now Monday, Wed, and Friday. Not Thursday.
2 x