Self driving and camping in a van along the silk road

Self-driving the Silk Road.
lharron

Self driving and camping in a van along the silk road

Post by lharron »

Hi everyone, apologies if this is on here already. Firstly this is an amazing site and there is some great info on here for travellers, so thank you.
My partner and I are thinking about driving/camping in a Toyota Litace van from Malta to Nepal next year. We are an Irish and a Maltese National We are planning on crossing Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Krgyistan prior to heading into China. I understand we would require a carnet de passage through Iran and the stans, and an international driving licence to do this. Does anyone know however if it is possible to bring an EU registered vehicle through these countries? In terms of camping, would it be relatively safe to camp in Iran and the stans? It would be awesome to get some feedback on your experiences.
1 x

timeoutdoors365

Re: Self driving and camping in a van along the silk road

Post by timeoutdoors365 »

Hi lharron, we are currently in Uzbekistan and we have crossed most of the countries you mentioned except Turkmenistan and China with an EU registered car. There is no problem with bringing a car into those countries. We also know other travelers crossing Turkmenistan with their own EU registered car. As long as you get a visa for Turkmenistan it shouldn't be big deal. We only need a Carnet de Passages for Iran. Camping hasn't been a problem so far in all those countries. China is also possible as far as I know but you need to have a guide or guided group tour which is even better to share the costs for the guide. And I think it is a little bit of paperwork.
0 x
Explorer | Roamer | Defender Driver - https://www.instagram.com/timeoutdoors365/

lharron

Post by lharron »

Hi timeoutdoors, thanks heaps for the response. Much appreciated. Have you come across other travellers camping at all?
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

About camping in Iran no problem, I have done it during 3 trips since 2011.
In Stans , Don't try to camp in border zones (Turkm, Uzb).

RR.
0 x

timeoutdoors365

Post by timeoutdoors365 »

Hi, you'll pop into several kinds of travellers - by bike, by bicycle, by car, by foot, hitchhiking with or without a tent. Where there is at least little camping infrastructure like in Georgia and Armenia you will definitely meet other overlanders. In most of the other countries there are no established campgrounds but to find a nice spot to park and camp is never a problem. Check out iOverlander app where you'll get a lot of useful information on wild campsites as well as established campgrounds and cheap hostels.
0 x
Explorer | Roamer | Defender Driver - https://www.instagram.com/timeoutdoors365/

wakeyjamie

Post by wakeyjamie »

Hiya lharron,

My wife (French) and I (English) are currently travelling in Kyrgyzstan. We left UK in May and travelled through Russia and Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Tomorrow we hope to cross into Uzbek. It has been an absolute joy to travel in a camper in these countries. Camping, mostly wild has been a really amazing experience. We have camped in some truly remote locations, and other times on the edges of villages and towns, and sometimes in Hostel yards. We have never felt threatened in anyway, although we always try and pick our camping spot carefully. Finding water has also been pretty easy, most villages have taps and we have found many springs along the way. The only thing we have struggled with is the roads. They have really shaken our van (and our nerves) although they are rapidly being improved in Kaz, we tried to drive what we though was a main highway in Kyrg and it was basically a mountain track. But I wouldn't change a think. The Stans have been wonderful. We both fell head over heels in love with Kazakhstan. What a country. So much to see. Do it! You wont regret a thing.
Jamie
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Agree with above. We now made it to Mongolia via Central Asia, and it has been really nice, camping everywhere. Roads can be very very bad though.

We drive the bigger version, a Toyota Hiace.
I can't remember which country but some country had quite some Liteaces driving around so good for spare parts.
A lite ace is quite small for a campervan though.
0 x

Karenza

Post by Karenza »

Hi, I agree an amazing site. I’ve a British passport, a single older woman. I hope to travel from Turkey through Iran towards the north, with a small dog and in a camping car. Is it possible? I’m a seasoned traveller. Do I need an International Driving licence? How long a visa can I get with a British passport?
0 x

applehostelbishkek

Post by applehostelbishkek »

hi there,

for the driving license: it is recommendable to get international license but not necessary, you can just translate you local license into Russian language. it costs around $15 and takes just an hour or two. and since all former Soviet Union countries speak Russian it should be ok.
0 x