Cheap accommodation for Turkmenistan: Q&A

All about Turkmenistan
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Cheap accommodation for Turkmenistan: Q&A

Post by steven »

Got a mail from the management of Kuwwat Hotel. They advertise a simple room per person for $ 10, luxury is $ 15.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

laghubhara

Post by laghubhara »

We (two people, a couple) tried the two most popular accomodation options in this thread:
  • Mary: Mymanhanasi at the station. Easy to find. We arrived at 3am with the night train from Ashgabat and there was a young guy at the reception. He spoke Russian, but no English. It is a hotel full of dorms that all seemed to be filled. We had a double room with air conditioner, it cost 50 Manat and smelled really bad. There was another room attached to it which looked like a bathroom (it had a drain), but there was nothing that could produce water. There was, however, a hair brush that looked a bit like a shower head. (a room masquerading as a bathroom?) It smelled even worse. At 8am, the same guy knocked on the door and told us that our time was over ("время закончилось"). :D We were very tired and asked if we could stay longer, but he said we would have to pay more, so we left. The toilet is in a building next door and also of questionable quality.
  • We stayed for another night in Mary and moved to Sanjar Hotel, which is not a great option (59$ for a lux room). They have running water only for 2 hours in the morning and another 2 at night. The bathroom was out of some Soviet horror movie. They didn't let us leave our luggage in the hotel after check out and didn't help us with calling taxis. So if you're looking in Mary, maybe try one of the other options?
  • Ashgabat: Kuwwat Hotel. No taxi driver knows this hotel. Other than that, it's really good. 30$ for the lux room, which I think means that the bathroom is ensuite. The bathroom was very good and clean. It was a smoking room. Other than that, no complaints, good AC, clean, etc. Nice people working there. Manager speaks English.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

from this post: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1127&start=30#p20964

In Ashgabat we went to Kuwwat hotel (not sure if the name is correct, but you will find it mentioned in “cheap hotels in Ashgabat” thread. Price was $30 for us for a room with a toilet inside. Nothing fancy, kinda Soviet. Hard beds. Location on google maps is wrong. I mean it shows the right street, but not location on the street. Maps.me showed the right location. You can also just find the right house number when you are there (again, check that other thread for context).
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

SHappe

Post by SHappe »

So we've just come out from Turkmenistan. We stayed in Ashgabat and Dashoguz.

In Dashoguz there's a great hotel called 'Sabat' (location is on google). It's about 2km from the bus stop/bazaar, and right on the road that takes you to the border. It's a typical Soviet hotel - I think two of the floors were closed down - so it was a bit old, but everything was spotlessly clean. Furniture, linen and the like is old but clean, and the bathroom is a bit old but clean. Hot water was amazing, even if the pressure was a bit low. The staff were really lovely - they don't speak English much (and my Russian is about 10 words) but we were able to communicate with each other.

The rate was 70manat per night per person. A double room (with a double bed) was 130manat. So, given that we could change money at 18manat to a dollar, it meant it was $7 a night.
3 x

davrunaway

Post by davrunaway »

I was on a transit visa (Ashgabat - Mary - Türkmenabat) from 12th to 15th June 2019.

In Ashgabat, I stayed at Kuwwat Hotel for USD 10.
Foreigner rates/pax as stated on the paper at the reception,
Simple Room: USD 10
Luxury Room: USD 15

In Mary, I stayed at Myhmanhana (beside the bus terminal) for 100 Manat. It was a horrible place because the room has no running water, non functional air conditional and full of mosquitos. I couldn’t sleep for the whole night and left straight away when sunrise.
1 x

robert

Post by robert »

Hotel "Shabat" in Dashoguz: 70 TMT per person in a regular room, or 120 TMT in a Deluxe room. It's basically a run-down ex-Soviet hotel, but good value for the price (hot shower, at least in one of the rooms we had; no A/C or wifi). Restaurant "Oguz" across the street has free Wifi and decent food, good place to get breakfast.

Hotel Diyarbekir in Dashoguz seems to be permanently closed.
2 x

wanderlust2

places to stay in Turkmenistan

Post by wanderlust2 »

Does anyone have info on cheap accommodation in:
Turkmenabat
Turkmenbashi

A search unearthed a couple of okay-for-a-night places in Mary (Mymanhana) and Ashbagat (Kuwwat and Syyhat). If you have more recent info please post. Thanks in advance.
0 x

PolyP.

Post by PolyP. »

Stayed in Kuwwat hotel in Ashgabat. Still the same fare: 10$ standard, 15$ lux rooms. All in all kind of average, but okay. The manager offered to exchange dollars for 15manat, but we got exchange at the russian bazar for 17manat per dollar. Laundry costs 5manat per machine.

Prices at the yurt camp in darvaza vary a lot - even with the same company. Was kind of confusing, since the staff gave us different prices. In the end we payed 45$ for two persons (one yurt) including breakfast and dinner.

In Köneürgenç we stayed at gürgenc hotel for one night for 70manat per person. Awful experience, especially the bathroom. I don't think they ever clean in this hotel. Don't go there, just leave the country.
1 x

esther

Post by esther »

Hi, does anyone know an email address of the Kuwwat hotel?

EDIT: still don't know the email address. We just showed up at the hotel and asked for a double room and prices. It seems like the common practice at this hotel.
Last edited by esther on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Hannes+Anne

Post by Hannes+Anne »

Just found a accommodation on Airbnb in Ashgabat. Paid 27€ for two nights and two persons. Payment with PayPal. It was the cheapest at all, so could be a option to avoid high prices or occupied rooms in other places.
1 x
hiphiphooray...on travels