Iran visit + USA visa waiver program (VWP)

All about Iran
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Will I get in trouble visiting the USA?

Post by bwv812 »

You can't get an ESTA visa waiver if you've been to Iran, and have to get a proper visa, so you'll know before arriving at the airport.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... stressful/

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internationa ... er-program
0 x

Sam_Supertramp

Will I get in trouble visiting the USA?

Post by Sam_Supertramp »

Cool. Thanks for the information.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

And yes, a moody visa officer may well not like you having been to Iran, increasing the risk of rejection
0 x

SPR11

Post by SPR11 »

I visited Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan in the last year, and got a 10 year multiple entry visa for the US afterwards (applied in Kolkata, India, but am a Dutch citizen). It took about 4 months, due to the need for additional processing. I'm assuming I'll have to explain myself at immigration in the US. However, the lady at the embassy told me that the additional processing should eliminate most hassle at the US border.
1 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

luketao

Post by luketao »

You don't qualify for a visa waiver to US, but you can apply a B1/B2 visa.

From what I saw on internet, many Chinese passport holders who visited Iran have no problem in getting US visa.

I am sure that German passport would be even easier.
1 x

JnKln

Re: Iran visit + USA visa waiver program (VWP)

Post by JnKln »

Hi everybody,

seems like I will go to hitchhike the US quite soon.
I have two German passports, one with an Iranian sticker and two extensions, one without. Will US authorities be able to find out about this? Seems like they don't when it comes to a dual citizenship but in my case both passports are of the same nationality.
Should I dare to keep silence about my Iran visit?

best regards from French Guiana
- J
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

I have read multiple reports of people who got through and very few of who did not, but remember that what you're doing is technically illegal, and if the US should find out (sometimes they do via the airline, lucky you if you flew Iran Air) that you've been to Iran, you'll not only be deported, but also barred from entry to the USA for an indefinite period (might or might not be life), while getting a visa is usually doable.
0 x

JnKln

Post by JnKln »

thanks for the quick reply!

I am totally aware of the fact that entering the US without declaring an Iran visit is illegal. My problem is that I won't have time for an appointment in the embassy.

I entered and left Iran through land borders, no airline bus or hotel records available in my case.
0 x

afgBerliner

Post by afgBerliner »

If I'm not mistaken, I think you have to wait for 5 years before you can qualify for the visa waiver to the US.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

afgBerliner wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think you have to wait for 5 years before you can qualify for the visa waiver to the US.
No. There is no "waiting time". It's that simple: You've been to Iran after 2011? You can't go to the USA without a visa. That's it. And yes, 2011 is fixed, it won't be 2012 next year and so on.
2 x