Urumqi hotels that take foreigners

All about China. Expert: bwv812
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Urumqi hotels that take foreigners

Post by steven »

Please post your reports and questions on accommodation in Urumqi below. We gather all Xinjiang travel info in the Xinjiang travel guide.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

stanathon

Urumqi hotels that take foreigners

Post by stanathon »

We're an Australian and an American and we both speak Chinese. Last week we had a lot of trouble finding a hostel or budget hotel that would accept foreigners. Many that we'd been recommended said they were no longer able to accept non-mainland guests -- same with AirBnBs. We finally found one for about 250 yuan/night after calling dozens and booked it, confirming over the phone that they could accept foreign citizens.

Then Monday I called to ask whether it was still possible for foreigners to stay overnight in a yurt at Heavenly Lake, the hotel employee said he'd check and replied later that according to the travel bureau, foreigners aren't allowed to go to Heavenly Lake at all at the moment. We'll still try (might only be certain roads?) but just fyi.

Today (hours before we would have checked in, on a fully paid booking through Expedia) the hotel called back and said they have to cancel our booking because the public security bureau just announced that foreigners are only allowed to stay at 5-star hotels. He suspected it was due to a political meeting this week. He was very nice and apologetic about it but says there's nothing they could do. Luckily we've found accommodation through an acquaintance but just a warning.
2 x

BakuBound

Re: Urumqi travel bans

Post by BakuBound »

I noticed that the cheap place I stayed at in July is suddenly no longer listed on the booking sites. They really do not want foreigners in Xinjiang.
1 x

Bentherebenthat

Re: Urumqi travel bans

Post by Bentherebenthat »

I had troubles last night with Urumqi, I ended up booking Xinjiang Yema International clubhouse for $60 AUS (300 yuan) through wotif.com at 11:30 at night. Not exactly budget, but it’s 15 mins from the train station and very comfortable single room, with buffet breakfast (luxury I never thought I’d be having while traveling). A good back up in case.
2 x

laghubhara

Post by laghubhara »

Maitian Hostel is accepting foreigners at this time (or at least, two days ago).
2 x

edblax

Post by edblax »

This is getting pretty scary. I wonder what the governernment's up to now that it can't even stand a few backpackers in the streets.

As with the Kashgar thread, there were a few places to stay back in May but that all seems to have changed now.
1 x

kaidi123

Post by kaidi123 »

Do you know if it changes if you have a Chinese foreigner residence permit? Or are you still treated as a foreigner and not allowed to stay?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

kaidi123 wrote:Do you know if it changes if you have a Chinese foreigner residence permit? Or are you still treated as a foreigner and not allowed to stay?
That would be very useful to know! Please leave a message when you find out.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I cycled across Xinjiang (G30) in August 2018. Camping at Sayram Lake was allowed. No hotel in Dabancheng would take foreigners. Dabancheng was the only town where I couldn't find anywhere to stay at all.
I found Trip.com helpful. If they confirmed my booking and then found out the booked hotel didn't welcome foreigners (which happened a lot), they found somewhere else and covered any increase in price.
2 x

ninanina

Post by ninanina »

jinjiang inn takes foreigners: 180 yuan for a double room.
home inn at hualin market does not, even though booking.com claims it does.
2 x