Tajikistan OVIR registration for visa-free or long-term visas Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Mtncanyon

Re: Tajik E Visa Registration

Post by Mtncanyon »

I called US embassy. They called Ministy of Foreign Relations. An Evisa is the same as a tourist visa. No registration needed for up to 30 days. If you confront this problem my advice is to pull out your phone, tell them above and call, or act as if you are. Don't pay
2 x

Wildcamel

Re: 45 day Tajik Visa registration update

Post by Wildcamel »

Crossing from Tajikistan to China the border guards made me pay what I thought was a fine for not registering...even though I had only been four days in the country. I didn't know the law well so I had no choice but to pay (100 somoni). Can somebody find that law and so I can print it out and show the guard next time...that tourists don't need to register in 30 days?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

You crossed the Tajik-China border at Qolma, between Murghab and Tashkurgan?

As for your 'fine,' you were simply scammed.
1 x

Wildcamel

Post by Wildcamel »

Yes....after getting on the internet it does seem like I was scammed. What a horrible feeling. Tajikistan is a lovely country but the police and border officials are all bandits and scam artists. Is there any place online that has the law so that I can avoid being scammed in the future.

Yes...I crossed the Kumla two days ago. In Murghab they said it couldn't be done, and I was told that again at the fence thirty kilometers from the border, and again at the border.

The top officials on the Chinese side seemed to know that it was possible...but everybody else was rather surprised I think. It took all day and a lot of insisting that it was possible...but in the end it was.

If you don't speak any local language it might be hard to do from the Kyrgyz side...but I think if you cross from China to Tajikistan they shouldn't give you any trouble.

They may also try and scam you at the border as they did to me.
1 x

khojandi

Post by khojandi »

Totally a scam. I've encountered this kind of shake-down before many times in Tajikistan. My last encounter - Tajik KGB in Khovaling declared that I needed to register with OVIR at every single nohia/district I arrived in or face a fine. To some extent, this could be just misinformation - as in many police/servicemen may genuinely not know what the rules are as info is not distributed well, so they're going on what Soviet-era commanders recall.

My advice in a shakedown - ask for a kvitansiya/receipt. If no one is ready to show the rule book and produce a receipt, then it is almost definitely a shakedown.
2 x

gonzalo.bonini

Post by gonzalo.bonini »

-
Last edited by gonzalo.bonini on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Turban

Re: Tajik visa registration

Post by Turban »

Confirmation that you don't need OVIR if you are staying in Tajikistan more than 30 days if you have 45 days E-Visa (It has to be E-Visa). We asked directly at OVIR in Dushanbe and didn't have any problem at Dushanbe airport too.
(September 2018 - 33 days).
2 x

unique

Post by unique »

I can also confirm, that no registration at OVIR is necessary on a 45 days tourist e-visa (must be e-visa). We've arrived in Tajikistan on 23rd of August, 2018. Although our local tour guide said no registration is necessary, but just to be on a safe side, we went to OVIR in Khorog and a nice lady explained to us that no registration is necessary if you are on e-visa. We had no problems on any of the checkpoints as well as leaving the country from Dushanbe airport.
2 x

emmaar

Post by emmaar »

Friends,
I have an embassy visa of 14 days. Can I need a registration or no need to register now. I have a tourist visa.
0 x

tinylittleteacup774

Tajikistan visa-free entry registration

Post by tinylittleteacup774 »

Hello all,
I am a US citizen who entered Tajikistan visa-free three days ago. If I understand correctly, I must register with OVID within 10 days.

Is this still the case? Any recent information would be very helpful.
FYI I am staying with local friends and not at a hotel.

Thank you!
0 x