Finding hiking partners in Tajikistan on the spot - possible?

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
tcarlyle

Finding hiking partners in Tajikistan on the spot - possible?

Post by tcarlyle »

I havent been able to convince, so far, some friends about visiting central asia this summer. Still, I've been thinking of going anyway, bring my hiking equipment and try to find some hiking partners on the spot (dushanbe, karakol, pamir and perhaps fan).

I was wondering what are the odds of finding some people to go on a 2-4 days trekk on the departing spots for hiking on those regions. Any feedback is welcome =D

Btw, the time frame is July/August
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Finding hiking partners "on the spot" what are the odds?

Post by bwv812 »

I think it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone in Karakol, Penjikent, or Khorog, although it may take a couple of days. The key will be to check in with the different agencies, guesthouses, and information offices and let them know you're looking for partners.

In Karakol both CBT and the TIC offices may be helpful (CBT may be more like a tour agency and mainly want to sell you stuff, though). Checking in with Yak Tours and Karakol Coffee may also be a good idea.

In Penjikent the ZTDA and the Zeravshan Tourism Board offices could probably help put you in touch with like-minded travelers (in my experience the Zeravshan Tourism office on the north side of the street was much more helpful—even when it came to ZTDA homestays). The guy who runs the Elina Guesthouse was also very helpful and offered accurate, pressure-free advice even when I wasn't interested in buying tour services from him.

In Khorog, PECTA is really helpful, and when I was there they had a pretty good idea of most foreigners in town and what they were interested in doing. If you let them know you're looking for hiking partners and leave your contact info, I'm sure they'll keep an eye out. Even if you don't stay there (and I probably wouldn't, given that Lalmo's is just across the road), the Pamir Lodge is the best place to connect with other budget travelers.

I Mughab the META office would be your best bet, but I doubt you would have much luck there.
0 x

WorldWideWebster

Re: Finding hiking partners "on the spot" what are the odds?

Post by WorldWideWebster »

Hi, I don't have my itinerary set yet but I'm definitely interested. That is if you are still going of course. Also hope to go near Almaty, even Tian Shan mts. I'm not sure how to contact you though, is it possible to PM here still?
0 x

tasmanlee

Solo traveller - joining group

Post by tasmanlee »

Hi all

I'm with a group which will arrive in Dushanbe mid May after having travelled along the Pamir Hwy. Then I'm on my own.
While in Dushanbe for about 10 days how likely is it that I could join a small group to, say, Penjikent and Iskanderkul, to do day walks?
What other mountain areas would you recommend?

Many thanks
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Solo traveller - joining group

Post by steven »

Let's say I wouldn't count on it. It could happen that you find people, but it is still early for hiking. I would suggest perhaps hiking in some lower areas, like Yagnob valley.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tasmanlee

Post by tasmanlee »

Thanks Steven,
I made an error - I meant I will be in Dushanbe in mid June! How would I be placed at that time to join a group? Or would it be better to set it up prior to arrival?
Many thanks
Tasmanlee
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

There are simply not that many people hiking, and mid-June is still kind of early. Set it up in advance if you really need company, you cannot count on it happening just like that.
0 x

tasmanlee

Post by tasmanlee »

Thanks so much Steven. Hard to know which way to go, pre-book or not, without your local knowledge.
Thanks again
Tasmanlee
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hope it works out! Although you are definitely not the first person visiting, numbers are still low. It is not a mass tourism destination.
0 x

tasmanlee

Post by tasmanlee »

Thanks so much Steven.
1 x