Bukhara-Tashkent

All about Uzbekistan.
Cassarian

Bukhara-Tashkent

Post by Cassarian »

Hello there,

I'm planning my trip in Uzbekistan - I'll be there in August - and I'd like to ask you which is the best way to reach Tashkent from Bukhara.

During my first days I'll travel between Tashkent and Samarkand, probably by train or bus, and surely I'll spent a couple of days also in Bukhara. Then I'll have to come back to Tashkent for the return flight, but I still haven't decided which is the best option to reach the capital from Bukhara.

Train, bus, or plane, maybe? I've already travelled from Bishkek to Almaty with a marshrutka: is there a similar option in Uzbekistan?

PS: I'm open to suggestions also for my trips between Tashkent and Samarkand, and from Samarkand to Bukhara, of course. I still don't know if the train is the best option.

Many thanks for your help
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Bukhara-Tashkent

Post by Milad »

I might be biased, but IMO there is no point in flying or taking the bus/marshrutka between Tashkent, Samarkand and Bukhara. The train costs about the same as a bus (Afrosiyob high-speed train a bit more) and is faster and way more comfortable. Although there are similar marshrutkas as between Bishkek and Almaty, they are not recommended as there is a better alternative and only reason that the marshrutka is the usual mode of transport between Almaty and Bishkek is that there are no tracks and therefore no trains here.
Between Tashkent and Bukhara the most time-effective way of traveling is the night train, recommended if you're OK with sharing your compartment with one (first class), three (second class) ore 53 (third class) strangers.

More information: https://caravanistan.com/transport/train/uzbekistan/
2 x

Cassarian

Re: Bukhara-Tashkent

Post by Cassarian »

Ok, many thanks.

So the train would be the best option for every step of the journey? (Tashkent-Samarkand, Samarkand-Bukhara, Bukhara-Tashkent).

Thanks again

PS: I'll travel with another person, so I believe that it would be ok taking one compartment on a night train (for the Bukhara-Tashkent step).
0 x