Embassy report: Afghanistan embassy in Ottawa

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Embassy report: Afghanistan embassy in Ottawa

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Afghan embassy in Ottawa below.

We summarize all info on the Afghan visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

rfoltz

Embassy report: Afghanistan embassy in Ottawa

Post by rfoltz »

Just received a phone call from the Afghanistan embassy in Ottawa, Canada where I recently submitted a visa request, saying they now require a letter of invitation. I pointed out that this requirement is not stipulated on their website. They acknowledged this, and said they are in the process of updating the requirements. However, they will not refund the application fee even though this is their fault for not providing up to date information.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Afghan embassies are notoriously fickle. I do see a trend here, the Dubai embassy also now requires a LOI. As per my latest info, Khorog still offers visas without LOI. I suggest going there.

If you don't have a local who wants to sponsor you, commercial operators only give LOI if you book a tour.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Solsticio

Post by Solsticio »

My invitation didn't have to be anything official, as long as I provided a passport copy of the Afghan person inviting me. This was in Berlin.

They only asked for the visa fee after having approved my documents.
0 x

jwong

Post by jwong »

Not quite Ottawa but I applied for an Afghan visa in Vancouver. Didn't know there was a consulate in my hometown until I actually started looking! Getting the visa was very straightforward, just had to fill out the form, provide 2 photos, money order and write a letter why I wanted to go. More importantly, they wanted the letter to somehow "indicate that the applicant is aware of the risks involved in the journey and takes full responsibility for any liability arising during or as a result of the trip to Afghanistan". No LOI or anything, handed in all my documents and got the visa in a week.
1 x

kalimero44

Post by kalimero44 »

Hello, I'm a Canadian citizen and was wondering which of the following visa should I get for Afghanistan?

Single Entry Visitor’s Visa – One Month or Tourist One Month Visa. Not sure what the difference is. I'd be spending a day in Afghanistan along the Wahkan corridor.

Thanks!

Carol
0 x

jacoblab1

Post by jacoblab1 »

kalimero44 wrote:Hello, I'm a Canadian citizen and was wondering which of the following visa should I get for Afghanistan?

Single Entry Visitor’s Visa – One Month or Tourist One Month Visa. Not sure what the difference is. I'd be spending a day in Afghanistan along the Wahkan corridor.

Thanks!

Carol
I emailed them asking about this and they told me I'd need a tourist visa.
But they wouldn't clearly answer my questions about the invitation letter requirement, so I think I'm going to apply in Islamabad instead since I'll be there.
0 x
My solo-travel blog: On The Way Around
Covers destinations such as China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more!

kalimero44

Post by kalimero44 »

Thank you for the info! I'll know for further reference. I've decided to forgo Afghanistan for this trip.
0 x