Trekking/Biking Route from Murghab River Valley south to M41

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
GoingAroundPlaces

Trekking/Biking Route from Murghab River Valley south to M41

Post by GoingAroundPlaces »

While doing research on a route thru the GBAO in Tajikistan, I've seen in multiple map sources that a trekking route exists from the Murghab River valley (road running west towards Lake Sarez just outside of Murghab) south along another stream valley that meets up with the top of the road that leads to Bazaar Dara from the M41.

And though this is shown as a 'trekking route' both in the Gecko 'Pamirs 1:500000' map, as well as on the map appended for reference, when I look closely on Google Earth, a consistent track along this route does not clearly appear.

Has anyone done this route, and if so does anyone know the condition of it? Is it narrow and high and precipitous (if, again, it exists)? And if it exists, could it be mountain biked? Thanks for indulging my speculation.
Attachments
GBAO trekking map
GBAO trekking map
gbaorm.gif (114.93 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
0 x

37north

Re: Trekking/Biking Route from Murghab River Valley south to

Post by 37north »

Hi,

I've been to the southern half of that route which is ok for mountain biking. Get in touch with Zhandiya Zohalsho who's running the tourist board in Khorog (PECTA). She might know the condition of the entire trail. The PECTA email address is [email protected]. I know there is red tape on that route, you will need to apply for permission. Otherwise try Aslisho Qorboniev of Pamir Horse Trekking. He runs a horse trekking company in nearby Bachor. Good luck!

Jan
0 x

GoingAroundPlaces

Appreciate the info- will do some deeper research with what you've given me. Sincere thanks! =)
0 x

tcarlyle

Post by tcarlyle »

Hei GoingAroundPlaces, where did you find this map? I was wondering if it is possible to find more information about the trekks described over there.

Cheers
0 x

GoingAroundPlaces

Hey 37north, have gotten some good information back from your suggested sources -- much appreciated!

tcarlye: the image is from pamirs.org.
That map is here: http://pamirs.org/trekking.htm
There are also a few more maps at: http://pamirs.org/maps.htm
The best available paper map I've found is the 1:500,000 topographic "Pamirs" maps from Gecko. Link here: http://www.geckomaps.com/en/products/ta ... map-detail
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

GoingAroundPlaces wrote:Hey 37north, have gotten some good information back from your suggested sources -- much appreciated!
Any possibility of sharing some of it here? It will probably be helpful for those thinking of doing something similar.
0 x

GoingAroundPlaces

The reply:
> Is there a trekking route that runs from the Murghab River valley south to the M41?
>
> Yes, there is a trekking option (3-4 days) on the route "Madian valley-Bozordara".
>
> If there is a trekking route, is it possible to cycle it on a mountain bike?
>
> You cannot cycle the whole trekking (difficult terrain). You can cycle 40-50 km in Madian valley, and 30-40 km in Bozordara valley.
>
> Also, I have been told that you require permissions to visit this area. Can you tell me what permissions might be needed?
>
> To do the trek in this area (Tajik National park) you are required to have an entrance ticket (3$ per person per day)

Will follow up on some specifics, but this is what I've got for now after a long weekend away. =)
1 x