Trip to USA with Iranian visa/stamps

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
bukhari917

Trip to USA with Iranian visa/stamps

Post by bukhari917 »

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right forum to ask , let me know if it is not and i will delete.
I am Pakistani national and have a multiple entry US visa. I travelled to the US in 2016-17 about three times and never had any issue, just general questions. I then travelled to Iran-Azerbaijan-Russia-Uzbekistan back in 2017 and had no issue with my US visa in Iran or anywhere. Since then i haven't travelled to the US although i still have a valid visa. I probably will have to travel for business meetings next month and just worried if Iran visa can be a problem?

I know for US visa waiver countries (who need to get online authorization to travel to US) , travel authorization does not work once they travel to Iran and they need to get a visa from the US embassy if they want to visit US. My case is different that i needed a US visa which i was able to get without any issue and always entered US without a problem - as i have huge travel history around the world and my passport is full of stamps - I am worried if i should contact US embassy or just go to US as i have a valid US visa?

Anyone have any experience like this?
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Re: Trip to USA with Iranian visa/stamps

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

I've got an Iranian visa smack-bang between my B1/B2 and C1/C2 US visas. I've been to Chicago (2x), New York, Austin and Charlotte without so much as a problem. In a couple of occasions the Iranian visa raised eyebrows but, because of my work, I've got a clearance to access specific airport areas in the UK which require some additional background checks and mentioning that quickly cleared everything out.

I've however noticed that the Customs officers will profile passengers. I've got a colleague with an Indian passport. Though we flew together, and even if my passport contained a much greater deal of "dodgy" passport stamps than his, I wasn't submitted to a secondary interview whilst he was. They opened his mobile phone and searched his laptop too, as alas is their right to.

One additional caveat I'd like to add is that all these experience date from the end of the Obama administration to late 2018, i.e. before the current phase of the Iranian-US relations. Don't know if it'd be much different today, but I suppose it would. A colleague of mine, from Spain, had the unfortunate job of looking after our affairs in Lybia for a while and, as such, had his passport festooned with stamps from there (and from Jordan, including some from pre-war Syria). He was always asked to step aside for a secondary. The interview itself, both for my Indian and Spaniard colleagues, was pretty bland and over in a matter of 30 minutes. Both said that the hardest thing was not to laugh in disbelief at the agents' utter lack of knowledge of geography (one was convinced that India was in Africa, the other that Madrid was in South America, since Latin Americans speak Spanish. I kid you not).
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

bukhari917

Re: Trip to USA with Iranian visa/stamps

Post by bukhari917 »

Hi, thanks for sharing this info, indeed helps a lot. So looks like I don't need to get another visa or clearance for entering US, i was thinking to contact US embassy and check if i need to, I think i will probably go on with this visa, although your plus point is having extra clearance for UK . The bad thing is - (not sure if you experienced this)- you know some pages of passport open more quikcly and always show up while others need hard work to look, my Iranian visa always shows up if you randomly open the passport :D so I am sure it will definitely show up in the hands of immigration officer at the US border; but whenever i went to the US, i was always prepared that they will take me out of the queue and ask questions, i was ready for it but it never happened, i guess i will still be ready for this situation and now probably the probability is higher ;) so we will see :D
0 x